DC9EF4D9-9E09-4914-966E-70E6D5F7E045.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 361E0639-D182-45D1-9EA3-3EA8804E44EA.jpeg
    361E0639-D182-45D1-9EA3-3EA8804E44EA.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 5A723CFD-62CF-49E3-97BB-201617BF9AE6.jpeg
    5A723CFD-62CF-49E3-97BB-201617BF9AE6.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 5
and as for vets in my area knowing anything about chickens,I am learning more about them from you and this site then they know .

Tylosin can be given orally or by injection. In bantams, I would avoid injections if possible, and Tylan can be damaging to muscle tissue at the injection site. I have only used it once that way for 3 injections, and it went well. The dosage of Tylan 200 is hard to caculate for a bantam, but 0.1 ml 3 times a day would be alright. It won’t cure MG since that is a chronic disease he will have from now on, but it may help symptoms. Many online pigeon supply stores are out of Tylosin powder for the water, but some have Tylosin-Doxycycline available for the water. Some use Denagard to treat MG. You could try to get him tested to find out if he has MG or something else.

Tylosin can be given orally or by injection. In bantams, I would avoid injections if possible, and Tylan can be damaging to muscle tissue at the injection site. I have only used it once that way for 3 injections, and it went well. The dosage of Tylan 200 is hard to caculate for a bantam, but 0.1 ml 3 times a day would be alright. It won’t cure MG since that is a chronic disease he will have from now on, but it may help symptoms. Many online pigeon supply stores are out of Tylosin powder for the water, but some have Tylosin-Doxycycline available for the water. Some use Denagard to treat MG. You could try to get him tested to find out if he has MG or something else.
I have been giving him Tylosin orally with a syringe and also putting it in his water. I agree about the injections. I will give him the dosage of Tylan you suggested orally .I will continue to clean his eyes with the Saline and when I get the Antibiotics for his eye use them. His one eye looks really good. No bubbles. I just have to get the swelling down on the other side. Breaks my heart to see him not feeling well. When I gave him the first injections of Tylan he was running and acting like he felt better.Poor baby.

Thank you so much for all your help. I don’t know what I would do without this site. Living in the Midwest you would think that vets would have more knowledge about fowl then they do. So many are raising chickens as pets. Maybe when I was younger I missed my calling. 😉

3 injections of Tylan 200 from the vet and I am not seeing any improvement. His one eye is swollen and has pus in it . The other still has bubbles

I have been giving him Tylosin orally with a syringe and also putting it in his water....
I purchased Tylosin powder.
I would like to give him some directly and also add
it to the water.
Or. There is no bad order. He just smells because he needs a warm bath

I'm a little confused - seems I am lately LOL

You have Tylosin Powder - have you been mixing it up and giving it to him orally by syringe and as the only source of drinking water since your initial post on July 1? It's the 10th now, so he's had Tylosin (Powder) solution for 10 days now - correct? (you can give Tylosin Powder solution for 7-14 days at the correct dose of 1tsp per gallon of water)
So your plans would be finish out the Tylosin Powder to 14 days?

You mention the vet has given 3 injections of Tylan200 (injectable) as well - is this correct? Was it one injection on 3 separate days or in just one day?

The discharge has a bad odor or he just needs cleaned up?

Poor guy, his face is swollen isn't it - if you press on that facial tissue will anything come out of the eye? Chicken can be semi-hard and has to be removed in order for them to heal.
Do you see anything inside his beak - is the roof of his mouth clear of mucous or pus?

1594435278055.png

To start with the vet had given me 2 injections of Tylan 200 , one to be given one day and then the other injection the following day. I had not yet gotten the Tylosin powder to be added to the water. When I did finally receive it I put a tsp.of the powder in a gallon of water , in addition it was suggested that I make a smaller amount (1/4 tsp to a quart of water) and feed it to him orally with a syringe .Saw no improvement. The vet then again gave me two more injections to give to him , one on one day and the other one the following. I am not comfortable with the injections. I then was told I could give him the Tylan orally 3 times a day to the rate of .1 ml.His main drinking water has the Tylosin in it but I am no longer giving him the separate amount by syringe. I am flushing the eye out several times a day with Saline and after the last one of the day putting Neo sporin in it as I waiting on the other eye ointment that was suggested to me. I am not seeing any puss today in the eye and when I press on the area around the eye I see none. The one area is hard though and he isn’t happy when I try to press on it and I don’t want to hurt him. There is no odor,his nares are not running and there is no mucus. He is eating and drinking but is staying inside the coop as his energy level isn’t as high as normal ( I am not surprised) I have added electrolytes to the water. Am I over medicating him? How safe is it to give him the Tylan orally? Do I also keep the powder Tylosin in the water ?Shouldnt the Tylan bring the swelling down if there is infection ?

Back
Top Bottom