Mysterious disease...what on earth is it, and how do I cure it??

BirdyMe

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
near St. Louis, Missouri
I noticed this morning that one of my roosters was having trouble walking out of the coop. I picked him up, and found that both of his eyes were swollen and infected. He was shivering, and his breathing was raspy. I've got him isolated, with electrolytes and some Duramycin in his water, simply because that's all I know to give him right now.

Last fall, the same symptoms wiped out almost my entire flock. I never could figure out for sure what this disease was, but I really don't want to deal with it again. So, here's a list of the symptoms that I saw last fall, and this morning:

Shivering
Raspy, quick breathing
Infected, foamy, slightly swollen eyes
Runny nose
...I can't remember if there was a significant poop change...I'll check here in a bit.
'Sulking' in the corner...hiding
Skin going pale, comb and wattles turning slightly blue/purple...from lack of air I suppose.
Death

If I find anymore symptoms, I'll post them. Also, I tried to get a picture of his eyes. My camera didn't focus very well, but I'll post it anyway:

Yeah, the camera focused on the tuft of feathers closer to the lense. : /

If anyone has any ideas on what this disease is and/or how to treat it, I'd love to hear your opinions!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Have you tried Tylan 50? You inject it straight into the breast muscle. This doesn't sound good at all. Have you tried looking up chicken respiratory diseases? I know there is a great sight but I just can't remember what it is...the bubbly eyes are a huge symptom. Let me see if I can find it....

If he does pass on, have you ever considered having a necropsy done to determine exactly what the disease is? Most states have labs that will do them for little to no cost...you might want to consider it!!

If there's a foul odor about the head area, it's Infectious Coryza. Otherwise I'd suspect Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Bronchitis (IBV.) They are contageous.
Here's a link, scroll down to these diseases and read about them if you wish.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Both links were extremely helpful! I feel so much better now that I know what it is. :)

I'll be going out to the feed mill later this afternoon, and I'll pick up some Tylan or Baytrill, if they have it. Will Tylan/Baytrill treat both MG and Infectious Coryza? I'm pretty sure what I have is MG, but still...to be on the safe side, I'd like to get something that'll cure both.

Thanks again!

Do you smell a foul odor around your roosters head? If so, it's coryza. Treatment is sulmet and tylan. Otherwise I personally would cull him if he were my rooster.
MG can be treated with tylan, baytril, denagard. However if it's a severe strain as it appears in the pic, I would cull.

I'm not smelling much from him....either way, I've got some Tylan- the water soluble kind. Should I go ahead and medicate my whole flock? Also, I can't give this stuff to my chicks can I? It would be too much for them, right?

I think that I would medicate the whole flock...were the chicks exposed? If so, I would medicate them also. I don't think that the water soluble kind would be too much. I think that your roo would do better with the injectable since he looks so terrible. Just my humble opinion.

I think that I would medicate the whole flock...were the chicks exposed? If so, I would medicate them also. I don't think that the water soluble kind would be too much. I think that your roo would do better with the injectable since he looks so terrible. Just my humble opinion.

Mmkay, thanks for the advice! I think I'll go ahead and medicate the whole flock then. The chicks have not been exposed that I know of. Still, I might just medicate them too. What about my 5 day old chicks? Should I use half a dose for them?

I did consider doing the injection, but he's not the worst case I've had- compared to the ones I had last fall. I'm dreading clean-up after all of this. O.O

Again, thank you everyone for all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom