Mysterious illness throughout flock

havent had any fatalitys since the last one i posted about.. and everyone seems to be getting better, still some with coughs but thats it..

the Mt healthy girls will be 5 months old at the end of the week and they are half the size as my other 5 month old hens.. im starting to worry about that.

in my small coop i have the birds that are showing signs of being sick and i have been getting an 10-13 eggs a day ( with the 13 girls i have in there ) but in my big coop i am getting 5 eggs a day and i have 40 hens in there... 15 or so are the mt healthy girls and the rest are all 6+ months but under a year.....
Are the girls molting though? Mine just went through a molt and out of 13 of my 2011 birds, i was only getting 1 - 2 eggs a day for a month. Now I am getting 8 - 10 eggs a day and not all of the girls are finished with the molt. Give it some time and see if it's sickness or if it's just a normal molt.

all the girls in my big coop are February, March and late April/ early May hatches.. i don't get why im not getting eggs from them the may hatch is 5 months old next week.

Mine have always been late bloomers. Out of all of them, only 3 layed early or, what most call on time. Except my little serama, she was laying at 13 weeks old!!

I've been having some mystery deaths and would like to get my birds tested. What is the best way to do this? NPIP? Thanks.

Probably the best way, sad to say, is necropsy. I would look into an avenue for that in your state. Be it a Vet school or state college. contact them and they will tell you how to get the bird to them and their fees, which usually aren't much. Most times you will find out exactly what is going on and can make your choices with the information you receive back. I am so sorry you are having problems and I hope you can find a solution soon.

Probably the best way, sad to say, is necropsy. I would look into an avenue for that in your state. Be it a Vet school or state college. contact them and they will tell you how to get the bird to them and their fees, which usually aren't much. Most times you will find out exactly what is going on and can make your choices with the information you receive back. I am so sorry you are having problems and I hope you can find a solution soon.
Just to let you know, cause I didn't, if another one dies, and you decide to get a necropsy done. It must be done quickly. You are NEVER supposed to freeze the body. You are supposed to refridgerate it only (in bags of course), and get it transported asap. I took mine to a vet several miles from where I live, and it had not been refridgerated, fortunately it was cold outside and I had put it in bags and had it outside in a metal barrel w/lid. They were still able to successfully do the necropsy. When they transport at the vet, they put in a styrofoam or type cooler with ice padding to transport. Glad I didn't freeze it like my husband told me to. Sorry about your loss and hope you don't have any more die, and like Haunted, hope you find out a solution soon.
fl.gif

Just to let you know, cause I didn't, if another one dies, and you decide to get a necropsy done. It must be done quickly. You are NEVER supposed to freeze the body. You are supposed to refridgerate it only (in bags of course), and get it transported asap. I took mine to a vet several miles from where I live, and it had not been refridgerated, fortunately it was cold outside and I had put it in bags and had it outside in a metal barrel w/lid. They were still able to successfully do the necropsy. When they transport at the vet, they put in a styrofoam or type cooler with ice padding to transport. Glad I didn't freeze it like my husband told me to. Sorry about your loss and hope you don't have any more die, and like Haunted, hope you find out a solution soon.
fl.gif
Actually I did. There is life after Marek's, just not one that most envision. I have a brood from Marek's survivors and they are healthy. I did lose one, but after what happened here last year, this is a blessing. I am going to take a chance this season as well. There will be some who may not agree with me, but so be it. I am going to brood any chicks I purchase this year in the turkey house. Any chicks I order will be vaccinated for Marek's, kept in a brooder for at least 6 months, given medicated feed and then slowly introduced to the 'ground' here. Oxine is another tool in my arsenal of tricks. As is ACV. At this point in time I am willing to try just about anything, lol, if it goes along with what I have read, heard, and seen with my own eyes. I will say this...buyer beware! I have learned that all chicks, no matter how cute, are not a good bet. Even 'meat' birds can bring in something you don't want to deal with in your flocks. Educate yourselves!!!!! Seriously, this is the best advice I can give any of you. I cross my fingers, eyes and toes, that none of you reading this will ever have to go through what I and so many others have.

Back
Top Bottom