Mystery breed with BIG feet. Also, might be a little Roo?

JenLiz

Songster
Feb 21, 2018
Brandon, Florida
I’m having the hardest time trying to identify this chick. People are telling me either Leghorn or Cornish Cross, but I don’t remember either one of those breeds being offered at TSC when we got it. My girls were with me and were so excited to pick out chicks, it’s all a bit of a blur LOL Anyway, I do know this was supposed to be a pullet, but the obvious comb and the fact that it is SO much bigger than all the others plus these really BIG feet (I tried for a better picture but the third one kind of shows them) are making me think roo. Hardly any tail feathers to speak of. Approx 4-ish weeks old. Any guesses on breed and gender? The first pic was taken last week and all the rest this morning .
54669B78-2C7F-412B-98F5-07C6507B0289.jpeg

28E95E46-5E35-46F7-953F-FF0F04EA2D77.jpeg

79489E8A-9F6B-4EA9-8B5D-8AF58E7EEE30.jpeg

8CB51852-8D44-4DBC-BD19-1EB1D9C165CC.jpeg

Cornish Cross.
Be aware that like ALL giant animals (great danes, draft horses, etc) they require special care and diet in order to survive their rapid growth rate. Also like all giant animals they have a short lifespan. It's also unlikely to lay if it' a hen well and will eat a LOT of food.
I had a CX live 3 years before it passed away, she layed for about one of those an egg every 3 days or so and she ate 4xs what the other chickens did.
You may need to separate it from the other chicks, integrate it into the main flock early or face other care challenges.
Or you can process it an eat it at 8-12 weeks old. :p They're very tasty.

Thank you so much for this info! This little flock is our first ever and I’m learning new things every day LOL Do you have any guesses on
Cornish Cross.
Be aware that like ALL giant animals (great danes, draft horses, etc) they require special care and diet in order to survive their rapid growth rate. Also like all giant animals they have a short lifespan. It's also unlikely to lay if it' a hen well and will eat a LOT of food.
I had a CX live 3 years before it passed away, she layed for about one of those an egg every 3 days or so and she ate 4xs what the other chickens did.
You may need to separate it from the other chicks, integrate it into the main flock early or face other care challenges.
Or you can process it an eat it at 8-12 weeks old. :p They're very tasty.
boy or girl?

Cornish cross.
These birds have much smaller hearts, and much larger bodies than other chickens. They require (as said above) a special diet to make sure they don’t gain a lot of weight. They often don’t live long either. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the replies, everyone. We were not planning to butcher any of the flock, they are mainly going to be pets/egg suppliers. I’m a little sad that our mystery chick turned out to be a chicken basically bred to be eaten with a very short lifespan, but such is life LOL I’m not sure what the plan will be for him/her (any other guesses on sex?) but at least now I have some info to research! :)

Some sort of meat breed, breed to put meat on and grow at alarming rates. I haven't decided weather it's a hen or a roo yet, I'm leaning towards roo at the moment but hoping it's a hen for you

Back
Top Bottom