Mystery Breed

Hillbilly Farm

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Morgantown Indiana
I got this Rooster with a batch of CornishXRock chicks from Mcmurray. Any idea what he is? He is just started crowing about a month ago. He is a beautiful fella but cant find anything that looks like him. Pea Come, Dark Legs, and in the picture through the chicken wire you can see the green patch between the brown and white on his wing. He is very standoffish with all the other chickens unless a hen gets within breeding range. He is a full size bird

Attachments

• 3-1.jpg
    3-1.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 21
  • 3-2.jpg
    3-2.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3-3.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, in regards to his breeding. Easter Eggers don't breed true to color, as I understand it. If you're curious as to what produced the one you have, there is likely no way to know. There is also probably no way to predict the color of his offspring. There may be some exceptions to that, I'm not very familiar with EEs.

No. Most people seem to think that Easter Eggers come from Ameraucana and Araucana ancestry, but actually, it's the other way around. For hatchery Easter Eggers to be Ameraucana or Araucana mixes, hatcheries would have needed to have those pure breeds first. The fact is, most hatchery Easter Egger stock predate the recognition of either breed. It was the hatchery type Easter Eggers that were the foundation for the Ameraucana breed.

Any guess as to his breeding? I know this is a huge shot in the dark, but I really love the looks of this Roo, but not a big fan of (mixed breed) Easter Eggers
Hatchery Easter Eggers aren't really mixed breeds. They just haven't been selectively bred to any particular standard. Genetically, your guy looks to have more of a cushion comb, indicating both rose and pea comb genes. Base color is silver, but not pure for it. He's also carrying a gene for red/gold base color, indicated by the red shoulder patches. Duckwing/partridge pattern gene, with a single copy of dark brown allowing some silver to express on the chest.

Hatchery Easter Eggers aren't really mixed breeds. They just haven't been selectively bred to any particular standard. Genetically, your guy looks to have more of a cushion comb, indicating both rose and pea comb genes. Base color is silver, but not pure for it. He's also carrying a gene for red/gold base color, indicated by the red shoulder patches. Duckwing/partridge pattern gene, with a single copy of dark brown allowing some silver to express on the chest.

Okay, I always understood EE as being a cross between Araucana/Ameraucana and any other breed. From what you said this is wrong?

That's the reason I don't like mixed breeds. In the fall I do run all my breeders into a pasture to produce meat birds merely because I like the results of hybridizing for meat production. However 100% of the offspring go into the freezer. How the hatcheries bastardize Araucanas/Ameraucanas just dumbfounds me. Most hatcheries use these names interchangeably.

Back
Top Bottom