Mystery chick from Murray mcmurray

It's the pale yellow color and irregular white dot on the head. As for MMM free chick, I am averaging 100% cockerels on those so I agree with Trux FWIW. If you got a pullet it was probably a sexing mistake ;) As for TSC, they get "straight run" chicks but if you know your stuff, depending on the breed, you can pick out the pullets and leave the cockerels for someone else. Just saying, they had about 20 "straight run" barred rocks but based on the diffuse/ muddy head spots of the chicks in the bin, people had already been in and bought 90% of the pullets. Some poor person is going to be awfully disappointed when they take home 6 or 12 roosters...
How many free chicks have you got from McMurray?

They tend to be nice roosters, too. I have one. Pardon his comb though - he lost all the tips to frost bite :( But he is nice to me and his ladies. I have my first batch of eggs in the incubator - between him, the Isbar and my FBCM I should get some lovely colored eggs from the pullets (which are about 20 different breeds!)

Attachments

• through April 1 no fooling 101.jpg
    through April 1 no fooling 101.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 7
They tend to be nice roosters, too. I have one. Pardon his comb though - he lost all the tips to frost bite :( But he is nice to me and his ladies. I have my first batch of eggs in the incubator - between him, the Isbar and my FBCM I should get some lovely colored eggs from the pullets (which are about 20 different breeds!)
He is very handsome

How many free chicks have you got from McMurray?
Oh gosh, let me think...I've been getting chicks from them for about 12 years, 2 batches a year - so about 20-ish freebies? Maybe I am just especially unlucky :) This most recent batch is a golden laced polish so we'll see whether I end up with a mate for my GLP pullet or not...I hope if it is a boy he's smarter and less noisy than the last one. He crowed ALL day and ALL night. Earning him a one way ticket to someone else's farm.

Oh gosh, let me think...I've been getting chicks from them for about 12 years, 2 batches a year - so about 20-ish freebies? Maybe I am just especially unlucky :) This most recent batch is a golden laced polish so we'll see whether I end up with a mate for my GLP pullet or not...I hope if it is a boy he's smarter and less noisy than the last one. He crowed ALL day and ALL night. Earning him a one way ticket to someone else's farm.
Yeah, 20 is still not a big enough number to make any conclusions. I have gotten only 1 rooster that I can remember, a Golden Campine over 8 years ago.

I do love my roosters though. If they are quiet-ish (meaning OK to crow in the AM and if there is something "weird" going on but no 3am crowing!!) and nice they get to stay. I have 4 right now and likely to end up with 2 more since I got SR chicks 3 weeks ago (ayam cemani, swedish flowers and pavlovskayas).

I disagree - a 50:50 shot if they are unsexed means I am as likely to get a male as a female. So 20 freebies, I should have gotten about half pullets. Unless, like I said, I am very unlucky. We'll have to start a new post "What was your MMM freebie" poll :D

I disagree - a 50:50 shot if they are unsexed means I am as likely to get a male as a female. So 20 freebies, I should have gotten about half pullets. Unless, like I said, I am very unlucky. We'll have to start a new post "What was your MMM freebie" poll :D
Flip a coin 20 times and see if it lands on heads 10 times and tails 10 times. 50/50 does not mean exactly 50/50 with such small test numbers. And if we add our two numbers together we get 9/30 as hens. Still extremely small but it is closer to 50/50. Maybe you should make a thread and ask others to increase the test number and actually find out for us instead of judging it off of 20 birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom