Mystery chick

Elegantenvy

Songster
May 20, 2018
Elgin, South Carolina
I got a video call from my cousin the other night. She was holding s baby chick and asking for my help. I told her to grab a heater to put it in front of and I'd be on the way. Apparently someone brought it to her boyfriend's house to feed to his snake and he said no.

So anyway. I've inherited ine baby chick. I have everything I need.. but I have no idea what breed it is. Apparently the friend works at a farm, so it could possibly be a meat chicken I guess? Which is what I'm afraid of bc idk if I could call a chicken..

It's yellow ( helpful right) just started getting a few feathers going. What I find weird is it's got almost pink spots on it ? Like maybe it's been dyed? Surely it's not natural lol. Could it be for identification purposes or not so much? I took pics but its hard to see.

IMG_20181014_102248.jpg
MVIMG_20181014_101258.jpg

If it's a cornish, you should be able to tell before long, it will grow so rapidly. Posting some more pictures when it's a little older may help. I've not raised any but some say that restricting feed and making sure it gets enough exercise can lengthen their lives. Do some searching for info on that if you want to try. The head poof also makes me wonder if it is a cornish. Sometimes it's very hard to tell until they get a bit older. Either way, it will have a better life with you, for however long it is.

Hard to say if it's a CX or not....that poof behind it's head makes me think it's not.
But a single chick is not the greatest situation.
Do you have other chickens already?
I told her one chick was not ideal. I have full grown hens outside. But he's the only one in the house in the brooder. And I've been having s hard time finding places locally to get more. I told her to see if her friend could get more, just so he wasn't alone.. but that would mean more to cull. But again he shouldn't be alone. Idk! None of my hens are broody so I can't just stick him under one. Come to think of it, I've never had any go broody. Lol

Is it possible that it's a good egg layer and was kept for Mass egg production and not meat?

I told her one chick was not ideal. I have full grown hens outside. But he's the only one in the house in the brooder. And I've been having s hard time finding places locally to get more. I told her to see if her friend could get more, just so he wasn't alone.. but that would mean more to cull. But again he shouldn't be alone. Idk! None of my hens are broody so I can't just stick him under one. Come to think of it, I've never had any go broody. Lol

Is it possible that it's a good egg layer and was kept for Mass egg production and not meat?
that could be possible... maybe a leghorn? it might be a roo, and that's why he got it.

Back
Top Bottom