Mystery chick....?

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Is it possible for a chick, whose mother is a Buff Orp and father is a Splash Cochin(standard, has feathered feet) to not have feathered feet? Because our broody hen hatched 3 chicks last weekend. 2 are golden/dark brown(suppose to be Red Stars/RIRs) and 1 looks way more different. It has a brownish colored head, yellowish colored neck/wings, and it's butt is white, just like the Splash Cochin rooster. We think that this chick is from him. But it doesn't have feathered feet, and that is what's confusing me.
idunno.gif

Any thoughts???

Hope this helps ya...I have 2 Mille hens in with a OEGB roo - the chicks that have hatched out from them tend to have either just a little feathering on their feet or next to none at all. So
idunno.gif
. Cute chick ya got there though.
love.gif

Thanks!

So just because the chick came from a rooster with feathered feet and a mother that has no feathered feet, it doesn't have to have feathered feet?
Also, what's more confusing is that this chick hatched from a darker egg instead of one of the lighter Buff Orp eggs...
idunno.gif

There are three different foot feathering (ptilopody)genes, Pti-1, Pti-2 & Pti-3. The first two are incompletely dominant and the 3rd is recessive. There are several alleles (variations) for Pti-1. Cochins typically carry both Pti-1B and Pti-2. Since these are dominant genes, only one copy is needed to produce feathered feet. Let's assume that the cochin parent is Pti-1B/pti-1B+ and the orp is pti-1B+/pti-1B+.

All chicks will inherit pti-1B+ from the orp parent; from the cochin parent, half the chicks will inherit Pti-1B and the other half will inherit pti-1B+. This means that half the offpsring wil be pti-1B+/pti-1B+: they will have clean legs. The other half will be Pti-1B/pti-1B+ and have feathered legs.

FWIW, I have a PQ silkie who is clean legged.

OK Thanks! For a while we were a little disappointed because we thought that all 3 were Red Star/RIR chicks, and that the one that looked more white/yellow was just a lighter brown color from the two darker ones. We really wanted to see what a Buff Orp/Splash Cochin would look like. I hope that this one chick is at least the only Orp/Cochin, so we can see what it looks like when it grows out its feathers.
fl.gif
smile.png
But I still find it strange that it hatched from a darker egg, because our BO eggs are usually cream/white/pink colored.
hu.gif

Wouldn't one expect a chick from a buff orp hen X splash cochin male to be basically blue with possibly orange head, irrespective of leg feathering?
I'd agree with Suze; it sounds more like a RIRXRSL

Quote:
Yeah I know. It should have feathered legs(or shouldn't have to), some grayish/blueish colors mixed in with a little gold.

But what makes me think that it's from our buff orp and splash cochin is that it is all white on its rump and golden on its head. The splash cochin rooster has a mostly white rump, and his torso, neck, head, etc. are white with black/gray blotches. And it has a golden head, which may have come from the Buff Orp hen. It would make sense if it had hatched from a lighter egg...
idunno.gif

The chick just really looks so much different from the other two chicks...they are darker brown/white, while this chick is mostly white with yellow and gold.

Here's a pic of the mystery chick(right) and one of the RIR/Red Star chicks(left). See how the one on the left is more brown and the other is more yellow/white?
hu.gif

14678_picture_137.jpg

I guess we will wait until they get their real feathers. Then we will see if this mystery chick has gray/black blotches on white, mixed in with gold. Then, feathered feet or not, we will know what she is.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom