Mystery chicken

Housefull

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I have a mystery chicken. She came from a light olive colored egg but now she's almost grown she looks like a blue marans. Could a blue marans come from an olive egg?

Pictures would be helpful.

I thought marans laid brown eggs, so if she came from an olive egg, I would bet she is some sort of mix.

ETA: That being said---olive eggers are very popular right now. Perhaps someone put a maran on top of a first gen-olive egger. That means she would lay darker olive-colored eggs than the egg she came from.

Probably.

Maybe.

We'll find out eventually.

Last edited:
Do you have Ameraucanas or EEs? It could a maran crossed with EE or Ameraucana I would think that would give you an olive egger. Post a pic. :0)

I crossed my blue Ameraucana hen with my Golden Cuckoo Marans roo and got a gorgeous Olive Egger that looks like a blue Marans. Can't wait until she starts laying! I adore my Olive Eggers!
I also have several girls growing up that look like Marans but are tagged to be Olive Eggers from my Black Copper Marans hen and my Ameraucana roo.
So yeah, it is possible to get them.

I am on an iPad and new to byc and cannot figure out how to post a picture

She is the one with her head up. Sorry everyone was excited about treats not pictures.
s

When we hatched the chickens we had a bunch from a black copper marans breeder then a few random eggs from a friend. I know some of hers were black copper marans and some were light green. We also have a random chick that looks like a mixed rock of some sort. It also came from a green egg. It's the one under Blue and I think it might e the only rooster we hatched lol...bummer

Back
Top Bottom