Mystery chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Housefull, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have a mystery chicken. She came from a light olive colored egg but now she's almost grown she looks like a blue marans. Could a blue marans come from an olive egg?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Pictures would be helpful.

I thought marans laid brown eggs, so if she came from an olive egg, I would bet she is some sort of mix.

ETA: That being said---olive eggers are very popular right now. Perhaps someone put a maran on top of a first gen-olive egger. That means she would lay darker olive-colored eggs than the egg she came from.

Probably.

Maybe.

We'll find out eventually.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post a pic?

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Do you have Ameraucanas or EEs? It could a maran crossed with EE or Ameraucana I would think that would give you an olive egger. Post a pic. :0)

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I crossed my blue Ameraucana hen with my Golden Cuckoo Marans roo and got a gorgeous Olive Egger that looks like a blue Marans. Can't wait until she starts laying! I adore my Olive Eggers!
    I also have several girls growing up that look like Marans but are tagged to be Olive Eggers from my Black Copper Marans hen and my Ameraucana roo.
    So yeah, it is possible to get them.

6. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    I am on an iPad and new to byc and cannot figure out how to post a picture

7. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    She is the one with her head up. Sorry everyone was excited about treats not pictures.
    [​IMG]

8. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    When we hatched the chickens we had a bunch from a black copper marans breeder then a few random eggs from a friend. I know some of hers were black copper marans and some were light green. We also have a random chick that looks like a mixed rock of some sort. It also came from a green egg. It's the one under Blue and I think it might e the only rooster we hatched lol...bummer

9. Housefull

Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by