Mystery egg? Can we eat it?

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Hi! On the floor of our chicken coop this morning (where we also house 2 Pekins) I found what would be a large cream-colored egg with some mottled brown spots on one end, almost 3 inches in length. I'm thinking it's one of the ducks that laid it. We don't know what gender our ducks are, but I've been guessing one boy and one girl. How can we tell if this egg is 1) a duck egg 2) fertilized and 3) if we can eat it? I've heard if it's fertilized then we can't eat it... although it is safe to eat fertilized chicken eggs. I'm also assuming the "float test" also works for duck eggs to make sure it's still good? When I found the egg, it was cool to the touch so it was laid during the night.
Thanks!

of course you can eat it. Silly rumors those are that you cant eat eggs that might be fertilized. if it wasnt there last night, is that large and creamy colored it very well could be a duck egg. Ducks tend to lay early morning. Yes you can float test it, but unless you have reason to think it is bad, crack it open into a bowl and eat it. Using the bowl method to open it allows you to toss it if its bad, or fry, scramble or how ever you want it fixed after opening.

In my experience, duck eggs are larger than chicken eggs, so that would be one indication that it is a duck egg. Many times ducks will lay in the morning before you let them out of the coop.

Fertilized duck eggs are perfectly fine to eat. Assuming you go out to your coop everyday and check for eggs, this egg should be fresh, much fresher than anything you would buy at the store. You could do the float test if that makes you feel better, but if it was me, it would end up in my frying pan for breakfast. :)

I eat fertilized duck eggs all the time. One boy and five girls pretty much promises they are fertile (also the 5 eggs in the 'bator growing into little duckies says it too) I had a clutch of eggs on of my girls hid for a week (check under the bedding in the area they sleep) in temps of 100 and I float tested those then cracked them into a bowl befOre using but they were all fine. Very yummy!

As long as you are sure it is fresh, you can certainly eat it.

Duck eggs are wonderful to bake with. They are also good in any method that you use chicken eggs for. The only difference is that you cook duck eggs at a lower heat and get them off the flame as soon as they are cooked.

Back
Top Bottom