Mystery Eggs - Broody Hatch-A-Long

Miss Prissy has been very dutiful, but I caught her in one of the other nesting boxes today after I got home from work. I’m not sure how long she was off, but they were a little cool to the touch. Though, the eggs still had some warmth to them. Do you think they’ll be okay? They have 5 days left.

Miss Prissy has been very dutiful, but I caught her in one of the other nesting boxes today after I got home from work. I’m not sure how long she was off, but they were a little cool to the touch. Though, the eggs still had some warmth to them. Do you think they’ll be okay? They have 5 days left.
When was the last time you checked her? Sometimes they are ok. The embryos are making their own body heat right now, and if it’s like how it is where I am, it’s pretty warm. Candle on Day 18 to make sure. I had some eggs that went down to 55 degrees on day 17 and some still hatched. Good Luck!

When was the last time you checked her? Sometimes they are ok. The embryos are making their own body heat right now, and if it’s like how it is where I am, it’s pretty warm. Candle on Day 18 to make sure. I had some eggs that went down to 55 degrees on day 17 and some still hatched. Good Luck!
It wasn’t until recently around 4:30ish. I left for work at 6am, so I was gone the whole day. I hoped they’ve okay, it’s 87 right now and it’s been that way the whole day with it peaking at 90.

It wasn’t until recently around 4:30ish. I left for work at 6am, so I was gone the whole day. I hoped they’ve okay, it’s 87 right now and it’s been that way the whole day with it peaking at 90.
Did you check them at 6 am before and then check kn them around 5? So about 12 hours (if she was off the whole time but I doubt it.) in 87 degrees on day 16. I *think* some will be ok, but don’t expect all to be ok.

Did you check them at 6 am before and then check kn them around 5? So about 12 hours (if she was off the whole time but I doubt it.) in 87 degrees on day 16. I *think* some will be ok, but don’t expect all to be ok.
No, I didn’t check on her this morning. I’ll just have to candle all of them….I don’t think she was off that long either, but I don’t know for sure. She’s still on them, though. She got off to get something to drink and went back to the right nest. So, I think someone had gotten into her nest while she was off the first time to lay an egg in it. Hmm, I should go count the eggs in her nest and see if there’s any that aren’t marked in there.

eys.PNG

Mine are due at the end of the month, 27th? I had to pull one recently. Some are from a health food store fridge, but the farm is about 20 min. from my house, and some are from a farm one mile from my house. I have not hatched from either farm before.

One egg was removed, a tan one...oh yes and the dark one is from my hens.

Might have found the reason for her sudden nest change and being antsy altogether. I saw one or two tiny, black bugs running across her eggs when she was up to dust bathe. Miss Prissy and her nest are going to be treated with insecticide dust. I saw posts on here saying it won’t hurt the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom