Mystery Hen

the petgardener

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
Hello fellow chicken fans
In June I stopped by Meyer Hatchery and picked up 4 new babies. They were in the bin where you could pick any color that you wanted and take your chances as to what breed they were - although the very sweet lady at Meyer took pity on me when I told her I lived in Chicago and didn't want to bring home a hen that would not tolerate our cold cold cold winters.
So, 4 new fuzz balls came home, and are growing up beautifully. 3 are definitely Black Astralorp hens but my other girl is the mystery.
This is an image from this morning, and she is 13 weeks old today.
Personality wise she is VERY alert and quick to startle - but is sweet. Any guesses?

She looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte, but doesn't sound like one personality wise. They're typically calm, docile chickens. So, maybe I'm wrong, but she's pretty nonetheless.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Hatchery quality silver laced Wyandotte.

X5 SLW. Mine is also a bit sketchy. Mine eat out of my hand bit if I move they're gone. The SLW was a started pullet (30 days) when I got her, so that may be the cause, but my GLW's act the same and I got them as day olds. She'll friendly up once she starts squatting if you can pick her up and feed her nummies.

Thank you to all who replied to my questions. Sadly I have to report that less than a week after this photo was taken I had a very crafty raccoon find its way thru a tiny weakness in my chicken run, and this beautiful young hen was killed. Traps are set for the predator, and the pen is as predator proof as I can make it. Next spring I will add another SLW to my flock, and try again.
Logically I know these things happen. Emotionally I had great difficulty not doing bodily harm to the raccoon after he/she killed such an innocent being, and luckily it escaped out the same hole it came thru before I changed my mind. At 3:30 in the morning I was a bit fuzzy so it was pretty close.

Thank you to all who replied to my questions. Sadly I have to report that less than a week after this photo was taken I had a very crafty raccoon find its way thru a tiny weakness in my chicken run, and this beautiful young hen was killed. Traps are set for the predator, and the pen is as predator proof as I can make it. Next spring I will add another SLW to my flock, and try again.
Logically I know these things happen. Emotionally I had great difficulty not doing bodily harm to the raccoon after he/she killed such an innocent being, and luckily it escaped out the same hole it came thru before I changed my mind. At 3:30 in the morning I was a bit fuzzy so it was pretty close.
I'm so sorry that happened and I truly understand the emotional struggles when you're faced with a predator. IMO, as an animal lover and borderline humaniac, I've had to trap and kill some coons. Not their fault, but they can mutilate your entire flock.

How sad. Raccoons are the worst of the predators, even survivors have gruesome wounds. I think she was very pretty - every bird doesn't have to be show stock

Back
Top Bottom