Mystery Illness

Familyfarm898

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
Hi. I have a black Maran that was acting lethargic, not eating, had lost weight and was having the bright green poop that I assumed was from her not eating. I pulled her out of the coop to watch her about a week ago. My first thought was infection or crop issues. Her crop never felt enlarged. TSC is no longer carrying tylan 50, which is what I use if I suspect infection so I just massaged her crop, got her to drink probiotics through a syringe. Three days later she was no better. So, Tuesday night out of desperation and an absolute lack of other ideas, I put one drop of ivermectin pour on on the back of her neck. By Thursday her comb began to come back. Today (Friday) it’s no longer purple and she’s eaten dry feed and watermelon. So, would you assume the ivermectin is what really helped and I should treat my whole flock? TIA.

I'm glad your bird is better. If the ivermectin was the reason for the improvement, the problem was either mites or worms.
Over the counter antibiotics have not been allowed since early 2019 or earlier. - for good reason. Like you, an amazing number of people with a seemingly ill bird would immediately reach for an antibiotic with no idea what the problem was.
One should never use antibiotics without a definitive diagnosis.
There are a number of problems with that. The main one for society at large is the creation of superbugs. Drug resistance in farm animals has affected human health to the tune of 3 million people a year in the US alone get an antibiotic resistant infection resulting in more than 35,000 people dying.
Globally, the problem is much worse with millions dying from drug resistant infections.
Another problem with guessing at the problem and guessing at a treatment. It wastes time from proper treatment of your animals.
As for the whole flock, check them over for lice and mites and have a fecal sample read to see if they have worms and what kind so you know how to treat.

I'm glad your bird is better. If the ivermectin was the reason for the improvement, the problem was either mites or worms.
Over the counter antibiotics have not been allowed since early 2019 or earlier. - for good reason. Like you, an amazing number of people with a seemingly ill bird would immediately reach for an antibiotic with no idea what the problem was.
One should never use antibiotics without a definitive diagnosis.
There are a number of problems with that. The main one for society at large is the creation of superbugs. Drug resistance in farm animals has affected human health to the tune of 3 million people a year in the US alone get an antibiotic resistant infection resulting in more than 35,000 people dying.
Globally, the problem is much worse with millions dying from drug resistant infections.
Another problem with guessing at the problem and guessing at a treatment. It wastes time from proper treatment of your animals.
As for the whole flock, check them over for lice and mites and have a fecal sample read to see if they have worms and what kind so you know how to treat.
I’ve only used tylan 50 once when I was fairly certain it was a respiratory issue. Unfortunately our vet doesn’t do chickens so, I’m sure like many people, I just have to figure it out by myself. They have no lice or mites. I check weekly for that.

A respiratory issue isn't necessarily bacterial. It is just a likely viral, fungal or environmental which tylan or any antibiotic can help.
Even if it is bacterial, it could be a bacteria that has no cure, partly due to drug resistance from overuse.
I'm not suggesting you are the cause of the global problem but it is a cumulative effect.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/us-activities/national-action-plan.html

A respiratory issue isn't necessarily bacterial. It is just a likely viral, fungal or environmental which tylan or any antibiotic can help.
Even if it is bacterial, it could be a bacteria that has no cure, partly due to drug resistance from overuse.
I'm not suggesting you are the cause of the global problem but it is a cumulative effect.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/us-activities/national-action-plan.html
I totally agree and I’m very aware of antibiotic resistance which is why we’re a 100% organic household. But when you lose 4 hens it’s worth trying to save the 5th one that comes down with respiratory issues with something stronger when all the homeopathic remedies did nothing. I’m not pro medicating my kids or my chickens but we’ve also lost a lot of chickens over the years so, when they’re on deaths doorstep I’m open to medication as a last ditch attempt to save them. But, like I said, that was only once here.

As a side note- they did have mites a few months ago but I got rid of them with ACV, dust baths, DE and minerals. That’s why I check them weekly. I had ivermectin here just in case that didn’t work. Until trying it on this hen, I’ve never used it before.

I support your point of view. I have used ivermectin twice. I've used a combiotic injection on a severe staph (bumblefoot_) infection.
I once used vet prescribed tetracycline on a flock with vet diagnosed clostridial gut bacteria.
As I said, I wasn't necessarily calling out your behavior, I know how common that reaction/practice is.
I might add that when one loses several birds in short order, it is time to send one to your state or national poultry diagnostic lab for necropsy and lab work. I do so on the first death as it is imperative I know immediately of any potential threat to the flock.
Here's a list of all state labs in the US.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
The sooner one can find out the cause of death, the fewer one is likely to lose.

Back
Top Bottom