Mystery Predator- Help identify? *Warning Graphic* IDENTIFIED

What species do you think the predator is?

• Raccoon

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Weasel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fox

• Possum

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Skunk

• Rat

• Cat

• Coyote

• Owl / Hawk

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Dog

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other (If you choose this make sure to say what you think it is)

• Total voters

DinosRBirds

Hunted by Moonlight
12 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Lake Huron,MI
I went out to the coop today only to find one of my girls lying in the run.
I suspect a raccoon as it is the most abundant predator in the area, but I'm going to need your help to identify it so we can catch or deter it.
The chicken's insides are completely gone. The predator left only the neck, ribcage, wings, and head. I have some pictures if you need reference but I must warn you this is a real dead chicken so if you're not up to seeing that side of nature, then don't look:

Flipped her over:

I would appreciate any advice for capture/ elimination of the predator.. or at least a guess on the Species in the poll above.
Thank you for any consideration!

Last edited:
Is there a water dish near by? I ask this because sometimes if it is a racoon they leave bits of chicken flesh in the water from washing it off

I don't know about the various patterns of attack of specific predators, but I vote for raccoon. When the Husky killed all 4 of the girls I had at the time, it didn't seem to consume very much. When the raccoon attacked, killing 2 or more (forget exact # --prob'ly blocked it out) it looked more like your pictures.

Is there a water dish near by? I ask this because sometimes if it is a racoon they leave bits of chicken flesh in the water from washing it off
Ever since then, it is part of my nighttime closing up routine to empty the water dishes, and leave them flipped over--don't wanna take any chances!
By the way,
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't know about the various patterns of attack of specific predators, but I vote for raccoon. When the Husky killed all 4 of the girls I had at the time, it didn't seem to consume very much. When the raccoon attacked, killing 2 or more (forget exact # --prob'ly blocked it out) it looked more like your pictures.

Quote:
This is a good website that tells you about what predators do what to thier kill http://icwdm.org/inspection/livestock.asp

Thank you all for replying & voting but my mom just suggested i go out to check on them, its 11:47 pm here, and I saw a raccoon in one of the runs.
ANd dang it it was the run that I couldn't get into, but I found out how its getting in and out and I've set up live-traps for when it goes in and trash cans for when it leaves.

And thanks for the waterer advice

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom