Mystery Rural King chicks

The chick has yellowish legs like a Cochin, but I am not seeing the lavender variety offered by any hatchery that would sell to Rural King. Yellow legs are not right for D'Uccles, but that's what I think it is. Self blue is the same as lavender, just a different way of saying it.

Shredded feathers don't hurt the chickens at all. It just looks a bit messy. Other than making sure they are getting the right amount of protein, there's nothing to be done about it.

Thank you. I'm going to have to read about that, I've never heard of a fearher shredder gene. Does it affect your chickens at all?
Fortunately no. She’s very healthy and growing great. Mine is about 6 weeks old and the only thing I’ve noticed about her lavender feathers is her whole life has been an awkward feather phase so far 😂

Any update on these chicks?
Not since last week. They've gotten a few more feathers, and a bit bigger, that's about it. 20230528_152759.jpg

I have a cochin myself. She is the shyest baby. She’ll let you pick her up if you catch her. Most of the time she takes off before you can get close. Love seeing the different cochin chicks I think they are just so cute.
We're not positive they are cochins, there is a possibility they are lavender french marans. We'll know for sure when they start laying, though. You can't mistake the dark, chocolate colored eggs! Either way, I won't care. They are sweet and beautiful girls. Cloud is especially loving and wants attention.

Back
Top Bottom