Nail & beak trimming?

Clark Fowl Fans

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2016
I've only had my 5 BO hens since April, but I remember reading something about possibly needing to trim their nails and/or beaks? Is this true?

Not at all. That may be standard practice where birds are intensively raised, but a backyard chicken should have sufficient space (thus opportunity to exhibit their natural behaviours) to make both unnecessary.

Partly true and partly not. If your chickens scratch in their run area, the nails should wear away gradually so no trimming needed. The beak never needs trimming unless it is a deformed one growing crooked. Some peeps trim the top portion of aggressive rooster beaks to prevent them doing injury to other chickens. If the bottom portion would get trimmed, then chicken would have much difficulty trying to drink water. I sometimes do trim my chickens toe nails after they winter over inside garage and do not free range. There is nothing sufficient to scratch on in garage, so nails do grow out some. Be careful not to clip nails too much. Bleeding can occur if you cut too short.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Chickens, if allowed to scratch in dirt and run around..Do not need their nails trimmed..I have Bricks and Rocks in my run for my Birds to hone their beaks on...None of my birds ever get a hook on their beaks...

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom