NAIS/Premise ID and buying from hatcheries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also read that for now, it will just be for farm animals, but they have not ruled out domestic pets, like cats and dogs. Im sorry, but nobody is going to be sticking a microchip in any of my animals.

It would also mean that ducks and geese would have to be microchiped also? Right?

Last edited:
Here is where Arizona stands on this. Article from Mother Earth News September 2007

"On May 1, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano signed a bill to prohibit mandatory participation in the National Animal Identification System (NAIS), making Arizona the first state to take such action. The U.S. Department of Agriculture first proposed the program in April 2005 with the intent of requiring producers across the country to register their farms and livestock in a national database beginning in 2007, as a means to identify the origin of diseased animals. As questions were raised about the cost and viability of the program (read more about its flaws in “The Truth About the Animal ID Plan” and "Government Program Seeks to Tag Every Livestock Animal in the U.S."), the registration requirement was reduced to “voluntary at the federal level,” leaving the final say up to individual states. Close on Arizona’s heels is Texas — at press time, a bill to block mandatory participation passed the House, and was under consideration in the Senate."

thumbsup.gif
Way to go AZ...
yippiechickie.gif

There are a number of hatcheries and poultry organizations that participate in NAIS, so I think it would be wise to contact your hatcheries to see what their official stance and status are on NAIS and premise registration. Some of them do not make their stance public, so it's up to us to contact them about it. Just my 2 cents, I was surprised to find that some of the more popular hatcheries participate in NAIS without their customers' knowledge, and this is a very important issue with us poultry owners. Knowledge is power, and sometimes we have to seek out the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom