Naked Chicken Butts???

campyconnors

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Hello!

So I got back from vacation today to notice something rather strange. Two of my four chickens have clearly defined naked spots on their rear ends. One of the other two has just finished molting and is perfectly fine. After just witnessing her molt, I highly doubt these two are molting. It could be possible, however. What I believe happened is a that that the final chicken (Who I have not yet mentioned) has started plucking feathers out of boredom. Before I left, I noticed her going after the two (weakest and lowest on the pecking order [the ones who are naked]) chickens and stealing their feathers. I believe she was likely doing this as we have had snow up to our knees for the last few weeks and they have not been able to go outside. They just stayed in their immediate run. As the majority of the snow has melted now, she now has the ability to go outside and, as a result, is not very interested in them anymore. Additionally, the two do not seem to be in any pain. No cuts or abrasions, just naked skin. I have also pet them there and they do not seem to mind at all. Finally, I am just wondering how long it will take them to grow their feathers back. I read somewhere that they will not grow back until they molt. Please share what you think the reason they are losing their feathers is, as well as how long it may take for them to grow them back.

Thanks so much!

Hello!

So I got back from vacation today to notice something rather strange. Two of my four chickens have clearly defined naked spots on their rear ends. One of the other two has just finished molting and is perfectly fine. After just witnessing her molt, I highly doubt these two are molting. It could be possible, however. What I believe happened is a that that the final chicken (Who I have not yet mentioned) has started plucking feathers out of boredom. Before I left, I noticed her going after the two (weakest and lowest on the pecking order [the ones who are naked]) chickens and stealing their feathers. I believe she was likely doing this as we have had snow up to our knees for the last few weeks and they have not been able to go outside. They just stayed in their immediate run. As the majority of the snow has melted now, she now has the ability to go outside and, as a result, is not very interested in them anymore. Additionally, the two do not seem to be in any pain. No cuts or abrasions, just naked skin. I have also pet them there and they do not seem to mind at all. Finally, I am just wondering how long it will take them to grow their feathers back. I read somewhere that they will not grow back until they molt. Please share what you think the reason they are losing their feathers is, as well as how long it may take for them to grow them back.

Thanks so much!

I have had some of that too. It is just boredom I think too...

When they can get outside more it seems to end. My CX rooster is the very bottom of the pecking order, I have to keep him in a separate area or his butt is always naked. Instead of fighting back he just hides his head in the corner and let the others pull his feathers out.

You can see his bare butt here as he attempts to gain position on the pecking order , with a bird not even in his pen/coop.

Iv'e got chickens too but now when I look close a few of them are losing feather I think we may have mites...Any advice I bought some DE to add to the coop. How much do I add or go about doing it?

Iv'e got chickens too but now when I look close a few of them are losing feather I think we may have mites...Any advice I bought some DE to add to the coop. How much do I add or go about doing it?

DE does nothing to control parasites in chickens.

Sevin dust is the best thing. At night, flip the chick over and dust the vent and under the wings. Ruffle the feathers, so it gets to the skin. Sprinkle in their dust bathing areas.

Repeat in seven days, and again in seven days. That way, you'll kill all mites, lice, and nits. :)

If you know which hen is picking, isolate her in a dog crate in the garage for a few days. See if she plays nicer after that!

MrsB

If you use Sevin. just know you are introducing a pesticide. I avoid all drugs. medications and so on. I don't use it on my veggies or my birds, but that is my choice. I just think you should know it is a poison and not an organic natural treatment.

So what would you use instead j/w? Our chickens even get organic feed. We live in MN as well :)

Last edited:
So what would you use instead j/w? Our chickens even get organic feed. We line in MN as well :)

I would ask on the MN thread. Personally, I do not have a problem with mites. I know my naked butt is from feather pulling.

I free range and my birds take dust baths all the time. If I had a problem I would give them a bath with soap and water and let them dust bathe. If it was real bad I would try veggie oil on them over night and bath again.

I am just anti-drugs and medication. I am just not going to use it, except as a last resort.

To me a naked butt is not a problem. Since we have gotten the nicer weather I am noticing less feather puling. I think a lot of it is from winter lock up boredom.

Back
Top Bottom