Naked chicken neck

SuperLuke

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Her neck has had no feathers for a while. Will they ever grow back? I've tried rubbing neosporin without the pain killer on it i think. Is this anything i can do to make her neck feathers grow back? Its becoming winter i dont want her to be cold

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Why is she losing feathers? Are the chickens pecking the feathers out? Does she have lice or mites?

You may need to put a loose sock with the toe cut that matches her color over her neck to help the feathers grow back. Continue on the neosporin. Take the sock off at night and then put it back on in the morning. You can't really isolate her long enough for the feathers to grow back as the chickens will think she is new and then attack her. So try the sock idea.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

The sock trick is a great idea. Humans wear things called neck gaitors.

Did you know there are breeds called Turkens and showgirls, that have permanently naked necks and they do okay in the cold. It's more a matter of getting used to it.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Even without neck feathers, your hen will probably be fine. Chickens are quite hardy. Many chickens molt in winter and do fine. Breeds such as Naked Necks, which naturally are missing neck feathers, are still cold hardy.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

A picture would help to diagnose this issue. Is the neck completely bald? Is she a Naked Neck Chicken? If she is molting it can take a month or more to regrow those feathers. If this is from something else like aggression, lice or mites, Mountain Peeps has given you some great advice using the sock method to protect the neck.

Good luck with your bird and welcome to our flock!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom