1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Urte

Urte Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Argentina
    Hi!
    I found some pics of the last NN chicks I had, they were taken on January 2008.
    I hope you like them!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    There is nothing cuter. Do they ever truly go through an ugly stage? I haven't seen one yet.

3. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Well my babies R growing...Will be 3 weeks Saturday and I am pretty sure we have one of each..

My Romeo...

[​IMG]

And Juliet...

[​IMG]

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Okay, I'm sure this has been brought up before but forgive me for not wanting to re-read this entire thread!

It bothers me that my little NN hen's head and neck is getting worked over by the rooster. I have a bantam roo, named after his orchestrator Kev. Lil' Kev is housed
    with one bantam hen and 15 standard hens. He occasionally has access to two D'Uccles as well. He has plenty of ways to satisfy his urges. I don't see him particularly
    favoring the little NN hen.

Is there some way, other than either removing him or said hen, to deter him from mating her. Can I Blue Kote the back of her neck or something, to give her a break?
    OR is my only other option to look away.....

Does this bother anyone else or am I the only nut in the house???

5. Hi! I would Blu-Kote her and just watch. It sounds like the rooster has picked that NN hen as his 'favorite' and she is the lowest hen in the pecking order --- that is what happens .
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Oh KKH Please do blue your little hen, we can not have litl'Kev marring "our" favorite. Her poor neck and head ! [​IMG]

7. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:OMG Donna! I love them and I am thinking you might be right about the boy and girl. I love the names and Juliet is so precious!!!!

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    just got back from an auction and I took some of my extra NN project birds, and I could not believe my ears...... I heard a couple of different people, just asking " where's the naked nakers " and it just seem that the word got around some how and they were interested,
    and some how they found out that they belonged to me and we started talking turkens.

turns out there's a lot of people interested in them, so I told them about the swap that I will be having at my place in SEP 03 11 and they are coming with cages.
    I think I did pretty good out there today sold some of my birds 5 month old cockerels for $12 and got more costumers coming to my place for more.

Now I have to make trios and get rid on the other NN roos

you are all invited to my place next month, and bring your NN's cause I don't think I'm going to have enough.

long day but well worth it.

9. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    I just got 2 NN this week from ideal. I know one is red, but the other has me perplexed. She is sort of yellow, has a patch of very light silvery fuzz on her back. Her wing feathers are coming in and they are white tips, thicker then laced almost spangled, then a bar of brown, then buff. Is it possible she will be Mille fluer?? Or what else could that be?? I can't do pics right now cause I am on the iPad, but will try to get some up later..

10. mayberrygirl

mayberrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Mount Airy, NC
    Bumping back up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by