Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Such great looking birds! I hope you plan on keeping this line going for a long time. S&G no longer sells chicks. :(

Thanks! Sorry - I should have been more clear - it's the S&G broiler NN line. They sold their stock to Dunlap - I actually got my chicks from there (after calling and being assured that all their NNs were out of the S&G stock).

I'd say pullet.

I got 15 week weights on the S&G broiler NNs. I did it in the morning so we weren't doing this while it was super hot, but it was not pleasant for them or me - hard to wrestle a giant teenaged boy bird into a weighing bucket that they are convinced will kill them. :rolleyes:

The one I wanted to keep based on stature, bearing, alertness, etc., turned out to also be the biggest. He got VERY upset with the bucket, and there was a little wheezing there at the end. He's super active and acts more acclimated to the heat than the others so I don't know whether to worry, but I'm keeping a number of them (not just one), in case any one of them (including him) doesn't do well in the heat. (Heck, with those struggling giant birds in my arms, *I* was wheezing a bit!!!!)

Here they are, 15 wk weights:

60 (black): 156.2 oz (9.76 lbs) - proposed keeper
64 (grey): 140.7 oz (8.79 lbs) - cull (late maturity + mild cross beak)
65 (pink): 130 oz (8.125 lbs)
66 (green): 136.8 oz (8.55 lbs)
67 (orange): 139.7 oz (8.73 lbs)
68 (light blue): 133.9 oz (8.37 lbs)
70 (dark blue): 139.5 oz (8.72 lbs)
71 (purple): 127.8 oz (7.99 lbs)

I'm happy with this - we'll see whether and how much they continue to grow, but they have only JUST started chasing each other and fighting a bit (not too bad), meaning they have gotten to a nice big size before the management difficulties of keeping multiple cockerels together have arisen. And they haven't been broiler slugs.

S&G1-060817.JPG

- Ant Farm

I got 15 week weights on the S&G broiler NNs. I did it in the morning so we weren't doing this while it was super hot, but it was not pleasant for them or me - hard to wrestle a giant teenaged boy bird into a weighing bucket that they are convinced will kill them. :rolleyes:

The one I wanted to keep based on stature, bearing, alertness, etc., turned out to also be the biggest. He got VERY upset with the bucket, and there was a little wheezing there at the end. He's super active and acts more acclimated to the heat than the others so I don't know whether to worry, but I'm keeping a number of them (not just one), in case any one of them (including him) doesn't do well in the heat. (Heck, with those struggling giant birds in my arms, *I* was wheezing a bit!!!!)

Here they are, 15 wk weights:

60 (black): 156.2 oz (9.76 lbs) - proposed keeper
64 (grey): 140.7 oz (8.79 lbs) - cull (late maturity + mild cross beak)
65 (pink): 130 oz (8.125 lbs)
66 (green): 136.8 oz (8.55 lbs)
67 (orange): 139.7 oz (8.73 lbs)
68 (light blue): 133.9 oz (8.37 lbs)
70 (dark blue): 139.5 oz (8.72 lbs)
71 (purple): 127.8 oz (7.99 lbs)

I'm happy with this - we'll see whether and how much they continue to grow, but they have only JUST started chasing each other and fighting a bit (not too bad), meaning they have gotten to a nice big size before the management difficulties of keeping multiple cockerels together have arisen. And they haven't been broiler slugs.

View attachment 1041070

- Ant Farm
Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I'm planning on another batch in late summer early fall, and if the source I'm hoping for isn't viable I may be looking elsewhere. I would love birds that grow like yours!!!

Do you ever sell hatching eggs? I'm planning on another batch in late summer early fall, and if the source I'm hoping for isn't viable I may be looking elsewhere. I would love birds that grow like yours!!!

No, I'm not certified/legal to do so, but I got these birds as chicks directly from Dunlap Hatchery, so perhaps you could get them from them? 25 bird minimum, so a number of meals plus enough to select from for your breeders...

- Ant Farm

No, I'm not certified/legal to do so, but I got these birds as chicks directly from Dunlap Hatchery, so perhaps you could get them from them? 25 bird minimum, so a number of meals plus enough to select from for your breeders...

- Ant Farm
Ok, I've been considering trying Dunlap. Did they come in a variety of colors, or mostly red?

... I just checked the website, it says they stop hatching in June. Guess I'll try next year...

Ok, I've been considering trying Dunlap. Did they come in a variety of colors, or mostly red?
All essentially identical chicks. All black-tailed red/buff. Nice people on the phone that I spoke with/ordered with.

I had a bad shipping experience with mine - might recommend you ask for express shipping (it won't REALLY be overnight, but it might avoid it being 4 days - I lost a number of chicks because of that, though it was February, so maybe less risk now).

Back
Top Bottom