Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My NN are 8 weeks old now! Some are so much bigger than others. A couple are smaller than my silkies that are the same age! Weird.. Anyway.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Does anyone else get asked from newcomers/visitors if they are part turkey? Lol I've been asked that at least 5 times so far.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Aoxa....I think the fact that they are all different sizes mainly reflects the fact that they will have had different sized parents. the two barred chicks I would think are cockerels....legs like tree trunks and facial furniture well advanced.

I tend to get comments of....."What is wrong with THAT?"....usually someone thinks that they have recently lost feathers and have some skin disease causing the bright red colour. Alternatively..."What is THAT?" with a puzzled look on the face at the most naked of them or "Jurassic Park" or "What is that ugly ******?" when they see the lovely Gordon. Children love them, though.

3. aoxa

I do believe all but maybe 2 of my barred ones are cockerels. The ones with the pea combs are harder to decipher. [​IMG] The barred one here I am hoping is a female [​IMG] This one as well. [​IMG] Here they are with the silkies and cochin mixes [​IMG] Sunbathing <3

4. aoxa

Oh and yeah. A lot of people think they are ugly, but a lot think they are so ugly they are cute, and some just think they are cute and not even close to ugly (like me :p)

They are supposed to lay green eggs, so I can't wait!

5. Pretty! Pretty! Pretty! Barred Naked Necks are so showy.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I lost my barred NN to internal laying, but here's her son! His barring got a bit diluted, but he's still cute. :)

[​IMG]

I have to get more recent pics of my neat colored NN - 'eggnog' and 'cinnamon'. So nice to have something other than my usual buff - and now I have a bunch of black ones growing up as well. :)

7. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    He's so handsome!

Ahh... I might get a NN! We got some eggs from a lady and she had a few NN. ( I've got 4 light brown eggs, there's a chance!) So.... hopefully I'll get one to bug my mom :p (She doesn't like them ;P)

8. aoxa

Yes, I quite like the barring!

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Here's a lousy pic of 'eggnog':

[​IMG]

"Cinnamon"

[​IMG]

Cinnamon harassing DH for treats:

[​IMG]

10. Splash Fm NN girl that just started laying --- single comb and lays a brown egg.
    [​IMG]
    And a younger blue frizzle Fm NN cockerel, single comb also.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by