Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    My four NN pullets and the three other girls that are in with them look so purty !! Maybe they will lay eggs someday when it cools done around here. Temperatures remain around 104 most days. But the evenings are wonderful and so nice to jump into a pool.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Kassaundra....I DO hope that your lovely little chick with the black skin has the scaleless gene....if she doesn't she is still adorable.

However....you water the chicks and chickens? Do they swell after watering? Now we are known for eccentricity THIS side of the pond......but WE water the garden. Only joking, it sounds a wonderful idea, heat loss to evaporation and all that, but the mental picture is so funny.And I'm just jealous.....it's been a horrible summer to drown all horrible British summers here.The jet stream was way to far south and we have had rain, storms, floods and very low temps.And Rebel-rousing-at-night.....'cool often with plenty of rain'....I REALLY know what that means.

Jumping into our (wildlife) mega pool would lead to serious hypothermia, Flower, besides which there is so much
    pond weed due to cold and excessive rain that the mini lake is almost solid.

Here's my little 'miracle baby' who shouldn't be here. As NN's go he is nothing special, but as an example of the "survival-against-all-odds" gene, he stars. Actually he might proved to have interesting feathers as he has a white tip to each wing, but that could easily change.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    PG keep posting pictures of "survival baby" She is a STAR as far as I am know.

I could do with some moisture now ! Although since I am old and arthritic i do enjoy the dry heat. Around here we "cool" with evaporation. Our coolers are called SWAMP KOOLERS because they are based on a fan blowing across wet filters. And we do water our chickens. They love to sit in the wet sandy soil because it cools them down. Besides having misters, there is no other way to keep them cool. As it is their egg production drops due to the stress of HOT and DRY. But as much as the heat get to me, I would not like to return to driving on icy roads.

So it is a matter of extremes in the weather most likely everywhere. Your pond does sound like a great place to watch wildlife. But no-one said that you should take a dunk in the pond my dear silly woman !

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    [​IMG][​IMG] that chick is 100% a carry for scaless congrats

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    pg, we are at I think 26 days over 100, right now and all around us is in bad or exceptional drought, our forcast shows this whole week over 100 and most over 110. The weather said over 60% of our COUNTRY is in severe drought, they are even talking about the Mississippi river becoming unnavigable if it doesn't improve soon.

Joe, since I only have the one right now is it possible to get scaleless offspring from her (I'm assuming she is a she b/c I want her to be a boy and she is getting tailfeathers faster then any boy I've ever had) ?

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    she by the looks of her tail i would say girl

scaless geen is resesive so you would need to breed her to another carryer to get a scaless bird but i have good news getting a carryer wont be that hard [​IMG] so far 100% of my last 2 hatches have been carryers

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Wooo Hoooo awesomeness!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Really? That's good to know I've been wanting another good broody hen ever since my BO died.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Just thought I'd mention that these results are STILL not up.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'll e-mail them and ask if they are going to officially announce the poultry section.

I agree, it's pretty disappointing that they haven't. Here's my verbal description, anyway. Male, black, large fowl, single comb, completely bald neck, very laid back.

i have now e-mailed them and will also e-mail the Poultry Club of Wales....they may be able to help.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by