Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    No ...the one in my avatar-Charlotte is the Monty Python attack chicken. I hand raised her . She will come up to me whenever I'm outside and look up at me as if she wants lovings but as soon as I bend down to talk to her she lunges at me with both feet and bites (pecks)me.

2. queenchick16

Feb 5, 2012
    I just figure that since chickens lay and egg every 21hours she is perpetually on the rag-Hormones.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

:yuckyuck

4. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

5. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Hi everyone. I'm new here and I just found a local farm with Turken. The lady I spoke to said the babies are 4-6 weeks. I can't have roos in my city so what can I look for to increase my chances of getting pullets? Also, I'm in FL and it's hot day and night so can I put them right outside in to a separate coop and run so my current flock can see the new babies? Thank you so much for your help.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My boys all had very large combs at 4 weeks old. [​IMG] Here is one of my boys @ 3 weeks :)

7. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    Thank you so much! He is so cute. I wish we could have a roo and make little Turken babies or maybe a Sizzle/Turken mix since we have a Sizzle too.

8. marlowmanor

marlowmanor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Linwood,NC
    My turken may have started laying today. [​IMG]I got an extra brown egg from my flock today (I've already got 2 RIRs that lay brown eggs)! So either one of my 3 cochin pullets started laying or my turken pullet started laying. Those are the only brown egg layers in my younger flock.I don't know how to figure out who could have layed it. How young do turkens start laying? They are 19weeks old right now. How do y'all figure out which hens lay which eggs? I certainly can't stand around all day and watch to see who lays where/when!

ETA: Upon closer examination I think the brown egg may have been from my turken pullet. Her comb has almost doubled in size, is very red, and she sounds more like a hen now. Does anyone have pictures of laying turken hens so I could see how big the combs get at laying age?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  9. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Any idea how much is on average a dozan fertaile turken eggs? I'm thinking about getting into selling eggs.

10. queenchick16

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm sure the farmer has them outside, you can put 4-6week old chicks outside just make sure they have plenty of shade and cold water. You need to keep them separated from your flock for healt purposes. Good luck with your new babies. I live on Long Island NY and I can't have roosters either maybe if you do by chance pick a roo the farmer will take him back. I just drove 3 hours the other day to give away 3beautiful polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by