Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am so sorry Draye! I hope you can find out who did this!

2. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I want to see BIG webs Ha ha. seriously those are some strange looking feet !! Do they belong to a La Fleche mix ? I have lots of birds with black legs and toes since a lot of my birds are from black stock. Out of all of my black legged birds NONE have yellow tow nails. I think that it is funny since I am not usd to it.

3. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    A breeder around here had barred EEs. Since she was moving she sold her flock. I am tempted to have some as barred birds are sex linked birds. For those of us who need to limit our males sex linked is a great asset. So where now my goal should be sex linked NN/EE with crests, black skin and pea combs.[​IMG]

Oh dear, I am becoming delusional again !

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    What color chicks do you think this pair would make???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The barred male gets his barring from a dominick parent, no sure what color the NN parent was.

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Here is an update pic of one of the naked hoodas

[​IMG]

They just have a tiny bit of white on the wing feathers, you can only see when they extend thier wings, but am wondering since the houdans get more white after the first moult if these guys will also get more white after their first moult, guess only time will tell.

6. flower

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Maralpz2006 I bet your answers to your question about making a "mottled NN" would be answered faster if you posted the question on a thread in the genetics section. Although we has a few folks here who know genetics they are not always on-line.

Draye Who would steal baby chickens ? Do you think that you should buy locks for your coops ? How sad to have your property removed by anything and especially theft! Could it be some kids playing pranks ?

Nike On this thread we are in no way strick about posting. Many of us like to cross our birdies to see what we can come up with and although some do show their birds most of us are too busy doing other stuff to worry about Standards of Perfection for showing birds. Some folks do know what the requirements are, such as color,weight and shape of comb but it would be best to do a seach for the SOP if your are intending to show. Again most of us here just like the look, hardiness, laying ability, personality and ability to make interesting mixes from NNs .[​IMG] and the NN thread. NN"s skin on their neck and face changes color more often than other birds but that maybe becuase it is not covered by feathers. I am not sure if it always related to being excited. Oh and your hen has a very pretty face.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Draye......Sorry you lost birds to thieves....that's about as low as anyone can get.What DID they plan to do with them?

Flower....yes, the birds with the extra-length toes are 50% La Fl├Ęche.....I don't have the Naked Fleches yet, though (some eggs in the 'bator now which may be just that).

Kassaundra....that totally black girl (with just the tinniest bit of white!) is great, I'd love to have her. As to what colour you will get from that cross....where is Kev when you need him? I think the barring shows through whatever cross you make.

Nike.....I personally see the genetic bit as license to post pics. of any and every form of Naked Neck that we can create.There are SOPs of course. they probably are different on my side of the pond to your side of the pond, and a quick Google search will direct you to those. (In Britain only black is recognised, and they can be with or without bow tie). Enjoy your birds.

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I think we will, eventually.

I think that is what the pairing I had that created the Red Barred.

Thnaks for the concern. We're setting up watches, I think it happened over the weekend. Yes I think it's kids "playing pranks", but that's the kind of pranks that will get you hurt. There have been spottings of kids on four wheelers. We'll catch them.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    without knowing the history of NN parent color & lack of any "off color" on him so far.. would go with the safest guess of probably 1/2 barred, 1/2 non barred blacks in both sexes and most will eventually show some brown mainly on the wings/saddle areas for roos and some brown lacing on breasts for hens.

can tell he is not pure for barring due to being darkish plus those random solid black feathers.

on the chance he is not pure for "black"- it's possible there will be some red barreds and reds like that hen. but would not bet on it... (draye's red barred from this sort of pairing is this scenario)

ALL chicks will be NN.. half naked like mom, half like father.

if barred offspring are kept and bred back to a red like her, will get some red barreds(draye- very sorry yours was lost!)

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    nice dark skin! mottle does not show in crosses as it's a recessive gene(if I remember right, they are cross with a houdan, not a mix?). the white on wing is a common trait on black chickens, they lose it at maturity. some do keep one or two or a part on a feather.

one somewhat reliable sign of a mottled chick is when they feather out in a penguin pattern- white feathers on front of neck, breast and belly with back all or mostly solid black. not all mottleds go through this phase though....

one more thing- mottle also has effect on skin pigmentation.. birds pure for mottling will have a lot of problems with the skin being light or patchy instead of solid dark color like on the bird below... so it's another hint she probably is not going to show mottled feathers. but if you do get a mottled adult bird with evenly dark skin... keep it for breeding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by