Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Marv does look like he will be a big one for sure! I am so glad he hatched against all odds! Such a cutie!

I had some new babies hatch here the other day also. The 2 moms are raising them together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Lisa, those look adorable.

I love the 'designer' saddle on the hen on the right!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    On the toe front, Flower, there seems to be something AFOOT as some of my birds are getting VERY long toes.

Here's some more extra-length toes (maybe a genetic adaptation to the mud, the webs will be coming very soon!).

[​IMG]

These birds are not full grown and have disproportionately long toes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks PG! Those moms are extra protective of those chicks. The saddles really helped them grow their feathers back. They were some of the roos favorites.
    Speaking of toes, I have noticed some of my NN's have really long toes too. I will have to take notice of that better.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wow.. Skinny too!
    [​IMG] Here are some toes on one of my girls. I have noticed that all of my NN have very thick legs, especially the boys, but the girls as well.

6. aoxa

[​IMG] Has anyone had a lot of explaining when new people come over? I am always explaining the difference between turkeys and NN turkens. I've had people not even believe me. lol Here is Spock (pullet) with my favourite little turkey - Betty (though it is a tom). [​IMG] [​IMG] The rooster I am keeping. Not yet named. [​IMG] With some of the barred NN. I believe the one to the far left is a female. She squats and shakes off and is only 12 weeks old! [​IMG] [​IMG] I love the sheen to the blacks. [​IMG] Check out the comb/wattles on this guy! 12 weeks old lol

7. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Aoxa...there's a bit of the aye aye about those long middle toes.

When I brought home my first NN chicks, I told hubby they were miniature ostriches.....he believed me and moaned on for hours about how high the fences would need to be to keep them in etc, before I enlightened him. When I confessed they were chickens, he didn't believe me.....so i might as well have bought some ostriches.

I'm sure the barred NN on the left is a pullet.

8. aoxa

That's hilarious! :gig

Everyone either loves them, or is weirded out by them. Some say they are so ugly they are cute. I think they are cute, without any ounce of ugliness lol.

Thanks for the second opinion on the barred NN. I was really hoping to keep one barred, and she is the only one that is even close to girly out of the barred. :)

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I've got several barred ladies, this year. I've also got a red barred rooster that I'm keep to put over them.

10. aoxa

Red barred?! Do show us!! Please! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by