Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Kassaundra....what sort of predator(s) took your chicks/chickens? Britain only has a few, but the fox, especially, and the stoat are absolute pests.We have many red kites and buzzards in the area, but they never bother the chickens or even the chicks.

I've made a breathing hole for my wrong-end chick, but no progress as of now. I have a second egg that's pipped in the incubator. My rookie broody in the shed has managed to hatch a chick amidst sheep shearing, and is currently clucking and purring, being very pleased with herself (she has only had real eggs for 2 days), and this is only day 20 plus.I'm hoping some are Naked Neck....they SHOULD be. It always seems that eggs hatch quicker when the weather is warm even though they should theoretically be at the same temperature whatever the ambient.(We don't do hot in Britain, BUT we are currently having our 3 days of summer.....hence sheep sheared, fields cut etc all in a frenzy before the rain comes again).

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    A hawk and a couple of stray domestic cats. The hawk is small and can only get the young chicks, the last one he got, he paid in his own blood, not sure how seriously Oreo injured him, but found a broken, hawk feather w/ blood on it near where the chick was taken. One of the cats was trapped and removed, still working on trapping the other cat. But even if we trap these cats there will be more for sure so we are working on protection for the younger chicks that they can live and run in until big enough to fend for themselves in the flock.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Sorry about you loss.

Cat soup tonight?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I just lost a beautiful bird due to the heat. She was a pretty black NN with a small bow tie. Of all the birds that I kept from this hatch from Nava she was the prettiest.

I just checked on the birds and they seemed to be doing alright in 91 degree weather, with a breeze, under a shady tree. The only birds that were panting were the NN's...which
    I felt was odd because I keep hearing how well they do with heat. The bantams are doing fine.

Anyhow, an hour later I look out the window and see a bird not moving. I was so disappointed to see it was on of my NN girls.

5. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    oh i feel so sorry for your lost i know its hard when we loose one of the chickens

6. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    kkhen, so sorry about your bird, it always seems to be the favorite ones.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Sorry for the loss.
    I too lost about three NN hens due to the heat when it firsat got extra hot. I'm down to 5 and it looks like there are only 5 or 6 youngs ones growing up.

8. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sorry for your loss KKH.

The elements are SO cruel at times. Here the heat is never an issue, but the wind and rain really take their toll.

9. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My little Mr backwards is out....and he's Naked Flèche. Mum definitely La Flèche (the only white egg layers I have) and he definitely has a naked neck.

I snipped the membrane further after he had made no progress in 18 hours. Overnight he zipped and was fully dry this morning.

Here he is....sleeping off his efforts.[​IMG]

10. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Congrats on the backwards chickie doo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by