Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Nice chicks and looks like a well made incubator. My guess is they might turn out mostly birchen, brown reds, "brown gold"(genetically half silver half red) males and possibly some solid or almost solid blacks. They are all carriers for the white gene so if they are bred together, 25% of chicks will turn out white.

2. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

Sorry you are experiencing this. :( From past experience, the signs of heat stressed birds are: not wanting to move even when you are trying to force them... when they do move, it is as if they are drunk... very excessive panting, eyes looking off, either dilated or constricted. It doesn't seem like you are seeing any of those signs.. plus don't recall any heat stressed birds dying at night, it was during the hottest or in the evening of a particularly hot day. Birds handle daytime heat better if the nights go below 70-75 or so at night.. they disspate the excess heat over night. it's when the nights are above 80-90 that heat suspectible birds start to have problems as they struggle to cool down their body core at all. (does the coop cool down a lot through the night or holds heat?)

If there's a bird with above symptoms- immediately cool them down, cold packs, soaked and frozen hand towels to their breasts/ under the wings.. hosing them down to the skin under the wings and breasts has worked... some people freeze water in plastic bottles and lay them around the coop(also done for rabbits).

3. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    congrats! now it needs to grow up and make more funky comb NN.....

4. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Re: recent sex ratio talks.. sexed a group of 22 NN bantams last week. Only 3, yes THREE females...?! what are the odds of that? [​IMG]

5. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Hey Kev, So nice to have your here. Are you hatching chicks at your place now ? Do you ever have any go broody ?

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Don't have an incubator due to allergies with bird dander(hatch days were very hard on me back when I did have one)... so everything has to be hatched under birds. Most of them do go broody, although it seems some like to lay zillions eggs before finally going broody.... which is good, unless you NEED a broody.... Ha!

The bantams are usually faster to go broody than LF.

Right now hatch rates aren't going to be good, with this heat.. just two hens on eggs, everybody else raising babies(mostly peachicks). So there's going to be a bit of stretch of no new babies for a couple months. But am really wanting to get the large fowl laced NN going ASAP.. the hens are laying, the cockerels are just barely old enough to be possibly fertile...

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Kev......3 out of 22 chicks female.....now that's MY type of hatch. My last hatch was 5/5 male, and a hatch I had a while ago was 9/11 male (Brahmas). Statistical probabilities and all that.....but I felt the dice was loaded (being vegetarian and anti-killing, lots of males is a nightmare).

Sorry you are having such high temps. and droughts this year. We have had too much rain and below average temperatures ( the jet stream was way too far south).

If you want broody, then Brahma is your girl in my experience. Being big they can cover a LOT of eggs, but they're lazy and eat an awful lot!

KKH all creatures which are predated rather than predator only show signs of illness when they are in extremis, so don't beat yourself up about it. (Nature makes them this way as sick stragglers are the ones which get eaten). Sheep are much the same.....they are at death's door before you know they are ill.

Urte....love those babies....you must post pics. as they feather out.

I have two Naked Fleches, adopted by Brahma mama.....I haven't studied them in great detail yet, but one has a little 'snout' and a flat area where a comb will develop.

Meanwhile, Marvin, who is 3 weeks old today (hatched on the incubator from a stone cold 'term' egg after ?a squirrel got into the broody pen and caused mum to leave her hatching eggs) is looking VERY big for his age

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    6 of 6 Roos and I can't keep one of them.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I hose mine down as well, and that really helps. If you can, cold treats (ie: cold melon) also really helps.

Sorry to hear this :( My temperatures are quite desirable in comparison. Days are in the 80's and nights are in the 50's & 60's, but I still worry about my bigger girls (cochins).

10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    KKH... I am so sorry for your losses. I have noticed my older NN girls seem to have struggled the most during the highest heat. I would put the ice jugs in with them and they would lay up against them. They also loved the moistened chicken feed I would mix up with very cold water. I think that helped cool them down in addition to fans & hosing everything down to help bring the coop temps down.

PGPoultry... I have this suspicion that Marvin will be quite the spoiled little guy?? ;) It is good to see him doing so well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by