Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Was looking through some images and came across one of a boy I lost a couple of months ago. He was SO naked.. My best boy too.. :( [​IMG] All of my barred chicks are boys. Out of 10 - 7 are roos. :/

2. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    hmmm wonder if its a roo lols...Here is my pretty boy DC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yep!

4. 5PinkBunnies

5PinkBunnies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Oh my gosh! He is sooooo cute!!

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Aoxa....sorry you lost that barred and very naked boy.I lost a lovely hen who was trying to go broody (stayed out under the hedge and was taken by a fox last night).....seems the best are always lost!

Chicken Frenzie.....how old is that cutie, it will make it much easier to guess? I would sit on the fence and say I'm not sure at the moment.

I thought my Marv. was male due to big size (feels as heavy as a brick!), but at 4 weeks the comb and wattles are not developing much. In earlier NN hatches I have often been able to tell quite early on what sex they are. Marv's feathers (especially on the legs) are a bit weird, but (s)he is an excellent flier. So, folks is Marv a Marva or a Marvin?

[​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    pgpoultry-
    Quote: I both winced and laughed at the same time, sorry! I really don't know if this helps at all: let's say, umm, not a vegetarian here... But still got that ratio. Hmm! ;)

btw- from the last picture right above, it's looking like a Marva to me.

queenchik-

Quote: Ouch. There's a younger batch of 6 and much younger batch of 8.. not looking at them too closely(it's okay- they're all being excellently raised by hens) in an attempt not to bring on the Dreaded Disturbing Doodle-doo Ratio..... they're not easily sexable for couple weeks yet anyways.

aoxa- sorry on the loss of that naked naughties boy... he was already handsome at that stage.. By the way- excellent tip, feeding cold treats. Never thought of doing that.. apples are in the refrig now!

Chicken Frenzie- great name! I'm conflicted on teddy. the pattern says girl to me, but seems to be getting the dark shade of roo feathers. It could be a she, turning into a dark brown pencilled hen though.. It seems to have pea or walnut, which also reduces wattles.. so if it's a boy, it could be why his wattles aren't prominent yet. Wattle size differences is generally easiest to see on single combed but it can be present between rose combeds.. pea, not so much.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  7. Jmanvanatta

Jmanvanatta Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    i am thinking about getting tukens from strombergs do they ship to south west ohio also are the chicks there good and can they be kept with other breeds of chickens

8. richsbabycakes

richsbabycakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    West Central Florida
    I have a young Turken with sores on her neck and a large lump. I posted in Emergencies last night but no response. Can anyone take a look if I post a pic here? I'm not sure if she's getting pecked or what. Thanks.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Stromberg's, last I checked was more expensive than other sources? and they also do a lot of shipping from different people because stromberg's doesn't seem to breed their own stock... so it can be cheaper to get direct from the same person than through strombergs. They do ship anywhere.

if you were looking for purebred instead of the hatchery 'mixed up colors', try getting Duane Urch's address for his breeds list(probably can find it by searching his name on this forum or Google) and order from him. Last I checked, he has larges in red, and whites in bantams...

if purity doesn't matter then any hatchery will do.. I have not ordered from hatchery for many years so I don't know who has the 'best ones' or stock matching what you want. Nava on here has very nice blues, splash, and is working on reds and whites.

10. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    He might as well have ROO painted across him with them wattles lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by