Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I agree that Marvin will be one favored little cockerel. But so what !

Big news here in the furnace blast shadows of Death Valley CA . Nava's brood have finally started to lay weeks later that the pullets who live where it is degrees cooler in temperature. All of them including the one male look very healthy and sooooo pretty. The boy is black and hugh. Since I lost my Red Laced Blue, I am almost sad that I gave that black boy away. But I am hoping that my Gold Laced Polish boy will grow up to be my main man. So far he is rather shy and slow to grow but gets along well with the birdies that he lives with. Maybe the "slow boys turn out to be good boys". I don't know since I have not been able to live in a place where I can grow out rooster for so long that I can not judge this issue.

I do know that gold laced polish grow nicer looking with age so I can hope that his personality will be similar.

2. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Looks like I am joining the group of you that have recently lost NNs. Yesterday I lost 2 NNs to predators, one of which was a key breeder of my dark skinned line, an irreplacable 2nd generation. Of course, it goes without saying I feel sadness for all that have lost birds. It doesn't matter how you lose them, they all count or we wouldn't have them.

Draye, did you ever catch up with the thieves?

3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    So sorry gootziecat. Is so sad to loose any especially a main two breeder. I feel for you !

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    No, but I haven't seen them again and have lost no more.
    I was told that a neighbor seen them this past weekend trying to cut across his place and tearing uo the yard. He picked up an aluminum bat and chuncked it at them and taggedone with it.

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    So sorry gootzie I don't know what's going on...seems here and another site it's been loss after loss after loss....:(

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.

I'm with Kev, hope he inherits that wonderful comb. You and your big birds...when are you going to send some this way?

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    KKH....these are such good flyers, they may just bring THEMSELVES on vacation.

I'm sorry to hear that so many people of lost NNs due to weather, predation etc. It's horrid to lose them.

8. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well after growing taller then my SLW roo my two girls finally lost their baby peep. I've never seen chickens grow so fast Oo....They should make me some huge eggs.

9. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Does teddy look like a girl? I took this picture 3 days ago. The skin under her beak are not looking like waddles, some other chicks actually have them, probably just some skin.... but they don't look like waddles...
    Please say girl :(. How does her body type look? She is Turken/EE/Silkie. 5 toes, feathered feet, and a whole bunch of cuteness!
    For some reason the broodys moved off Teddy after she hatched, they did it with about 2 other chicks too. She was dead cold, and not moving. My dad said she was dead, and we should make a little grave, but I couldn't give up. I put her under the broodys, and a couple hours later she was better, not 100% like the other chicks, but she was warmer and moving her head. My little miriacle :D.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How old is she? I find she looks similar to my girl at week 4-5. Can't say for sure though. What type of comb does she have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by