Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thank you everyone for your kind words.

pgpoultry, glad he made it. The world is in balance again. :lol: Hey, that bubble wrap it a great idea!!

I just picked up some semi-feral cats to take care of the gopher over population on my land....great...should have looked at it from a different angle. :p

2. Urte

Urte Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Argentina
    Hi,
    On may I got a pair of NNs, I believe they are crossed to araucanas, because they have pea comb, and the hen lays green eggs.
    The female is white and the male is brown red.
    Next, some pics of their babies that hatched yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What colour do you think they'll be?
    13 eggs hatched, 5 not NN, and the 8 NN, only 2 have very tini bowties, the rest had big bowties.
    I kept only 5, the most naked, the rest I gave them to a friend this morning.
    Enjoy!

3. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Cute chicks. You gave them away so soon...What if the 5 are all roosters???
    I have had 7 beautiful polish over the last several months and all 7 were Roos ...I can't have Roos where I live so I had to find homes for them.It was like some cruel joke after all that time and money. I'd say I'd think good vibes for you but maybe I'm not the one you want doing that...Enjoy your babies.

4. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Kassandra, of the 11 kids I think we ended up with 6 or 7 girls. I'll have to get some recent shots.they are so funny to watch.they move like little beads of mercury. If anyone here remembers breaking a thermometer and pushing the beads around as a kid.
    I think I just came up with a name for one of the girls I'm going to keep.
    Sorry to here about everyone's recent losses.
    After that rain and tornado that ripped through LongIsland the other day they looked like a bunch of drowned rats.

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    That is pretty good odds. They all hatched from colored eggs and Oreo looks like he carries colored egg genes [​IMG] So I'm thinking your egg basket will turn blue/green soon.

Did the black and white one you liked so much stay female?

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Urte, those are going to be some very pretty and interesting birds. Can't wait to see them grown up!

I lost another NN overnight. I found her sitting on the poop board last night but didn't think anything of it...they often change positions a million times before settling in.
    I found her this morning in the same spot, head tucked under her wing. Poor girl. She was in a different coop then the other I lost. She was a bantam but on the big side, pretty
    heavy bodied.

I guess I expected to see more outward signs of distress but I'm learning that it's not that easy to detect. I guess I should have realized that something was going on...she was
    my favorite in that pen. I had tried hatching out some babies from her but just got boys, which I didn't keep.

I thought NN's were supposed to be pretty heat tolerant. I'm doing everything I can and still losing them. I have other birds, bigger birds, so I don't get it...why these girls? :hit

Good-bye Goldie
    [​IMG]

7. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    My girls must dislike farmville. They just wouldn't leave my mother and her lap top alone ha

[​IMG]

8. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    KKH I feel soooo sad for you and your losses. If it is any consolation, I lost two birds recently but not NN. I am thinking that some birds just do not have the same gusto that other have but without a necropsy how would you know what happened. A four month old hatchery polish and a young silkie from a local breeder were the breeds that were found dead by Betty. If any additional birds were lost I was planning on sending them for a necropsy.

Just for comparison I want to add that the NNs from Nava, all eigth of them look very nice but so far have not made any eggs for me as far as I know. I gave two to a woman who lives close by and two to Betty. I saw all of them last week.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks Mary. I was stunned to find Goldie dead this morning. Both hens seemed so healthy and died after it had already cooled off considerably. I have them in the freezer just in case I need to send them off for a necropsy. My three (now two) birds from Nava were all laying and all had a different shade of brown egg. One of them lays a pretty dark egg. At first I thought it was the Welsummer egg, but she's not laying yet. I finally caught her in the act so I know it's her egg. They're still pretty small eggs, but I know they'll get bigger.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Or they could be trying to convince her that she needs some Naked Necks on her farm ;) :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by