Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Man this is a toughie Georgiaboy!!! They are all nice looking roos! The first actually reminds me of how one of my silkie mixes would look if he was frizzled! ;) Number 1 I like because it looks like a partridge color but with lacing in his breast. The boy in the number 3 picture is gorgeous as well. If you are striving to increase the crest size, I might go with the last boy. But with all these good looking roos, it is a tough call! ;)

2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    He is a cute little one! He is still kind of young yet and with the silkie in him, it makes it even harder to sex sometimes. But if I had to guess right now, I would say boy. His comb is looking pretty wide for a girl that age.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Cool birds!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Kevin I find that birds crest amazing too. I think the parents should be tracked down if possible. The auctioneer should have that info since it was a livestock auction, yes? The beauty of genetics.....

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That could be worth a try & certainly be nice to have the parentage/breeds involved settled for once... or see if the seller has more like her, which would prove it's heritable.

In cases where the parents cannot be tracked or it's truly the only one, usually a linebreeding is called for- animal with 'something new' is bred then offspring is bred back with it. especially if the mutation is a recessive and doesn't show up in a cross.

inbreeding might be uncomfortable to some, sometimes it's the only way to preserve a new trait.

6. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    \Yeah.. the weird thing is it's been that wide since he was born! It hasn't changed a bit.

7. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Knock Kneed Hen and NewToFarming thanks for your appreciation of my birds.I will pair the spangled rooster with the buff colored naked neck X Polish pullet out of my red crested red polish hen and the black tailed naked neck rooster. Kev thanks for your help in my selection of what rooster to use with my hen. When the time comes to set this hen up in a breeding pen she will be paired with the cuckoo frizzle rooster first,since I want lots of variety. I'm hoping that she will be a good layer so I can pair her with several males.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Ahhh, can't wait to see the result of these pairings. I truly hate when we're forced to limit our choices. I think you'd could go with any of them. I'd be happy to have any of them!

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have NN eggs ready to go in the bator on Monday. These are the ones from the U of A.

10. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    i think my young nn roo his colors is gonna be splash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by