Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Dose anyone know where I can but Naked Neck broilers for meat?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Look at this lil guy! I *think* he's a mix of one of my NN hens with my white americauna roo. His legs are BRIGHT green (doesn't show up well in the cell phone photo). Too bad I already have too many roosters, or I'd keep this guy. I think he will be very pretty!

[​IMG]

3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    featherz He is a pretty young male. Too bad as we all have too many males.

Vamvakus Make a search for FREEDOM RANGERS. They have been created for fast harvesting. Some one around here bought them and was pleased.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I have never heard of a NN broiler???

5. Vamvakas

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
  6. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Well, just slap me and call me a skeptic, but I see nothing in their description that says these are faster maturing then any other NN out there. In their description they say their "slowest" maturing ones take 120 days and the NN take about 1 week longer then that, and they did not mention that I saw the lbs you would get in the NN at 120 days plus 1 week. Unless you read something I didn't?

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't think they are supposed to be fast maturing, but rather I hear S and G hybrids have been bred for size, thin skin (supposed to cook up well, and is something often lost in nn mixes), and are supposed to have the fewer feathers all over the body which also seems to be lost in many mixes. That's just my understanding of it though.

8. Vamvakas

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Here's an email they sent to me after asking them a few things about there NN broilers...

[​IMG]

If they get 6-7 lbs in 3-4 months that's alot faster then other chickens not as great as the white cornish but great for a NN.. Need more proof? Or do you think am I just making all of this up..

9. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I guess that I am wrong about the FREEDOM RANGERS on several accounts. I have seen them advertised in several places and the person who raised and havested them weighted them and was not disapointed. I think more research is needed by those interested. Oh I remember another fact, they were healthy and good foragers and required less feed. I am not interested in them other than I am curious.

10. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I think my comment was misunderstood, I did not mean to insult the hatchery they are from, or to infer you vamakos were somehow lying. I was pointing out that the information the hatchery provided about thier birds in no way portrayed them as faster maturing then any other pure NN, and that is to the hatcheries credit, that the hatchery stated these are slow growing rather then what most people would think of as a "nn broiler" which in my thinking would imply you were looking for a NN that matured quicker like a "meat chicken".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by