Naked Neck/Turken Thread

PG... Yay! We have Gordon babies to watch grow up! I am so glad you were able to hatch those eggs! :celebrate

Larrissa ... Great news you were able to save the twin! I would love to see pictures of them. It is amazing they both hatched and more amazing that you were able to save him. But I think you found the little ones name.. "Miracle!"

Georgiaboy... you are going to have some spectacular NN's there! I can't wait to see them grow!

NewToFarming said everything I wanted to say. :)

GeoBoy How come the first pictures hows the chicks to be fairly dark but not in the following ones ? Must be the ambient light. So what I really want to say is that that chick is not very melanotic, not black enough skin and erasing feather feet is almost impossible according to what I've been reading. She is a very pretty girlie though.

I used to dislike feathered feet and legs but after I learned about the trait, I decided to accept it since there are so many traits that come with feathered footed birds. Maybe Lisa and Kev have more to say about those feathered footed creatures.

GeoBoy How come the first pictures hows the chicks to be fairly dark but not in the following ones ? Must be the ambient light. So what I really want to say is that that chick is not very melanotic, not black enough skin and erasing feather feet is almost impossible according to what I've been reading. She is a very pretty girlie though.

I used to dislike feathered feet and legs but after I learned about the trait, I decided to accept it since there are so many traits that come with feathered footed birds. Maybe Lisa and Kev have more to say about those feathered footed creatures.
The top pic is the most recent pic.The other pics are at different ages,not in order.Thanks for your reply.She is the only dark skinned naked neck that I have besides the showgirls that I recently hatched out.There is a couple of longtail breeders in my neck of the woods who I have heard are working on fibromelanotic birds.

Just curious like what???? I really dislike feathered feet personally.

My NNs do very well in the cold....they are first out of the coop on cold and frosty mornings. Last two winters we had day time temperatures below freezing and nights nearing 0 degrees. At night they crowded together in the coop and kept warm by body heat. I feed them well through the winter and make warm porridge for them daily.

I have been very pleasantly surprised. A few weeks back I lost my lovely NN hen, Jezebel, to a fox when she went broody (unbeknownst to me) under a hedge. Two days later i found a big Brahma hen brooding behind a large tuft of grass very close to my big coop.(I hadn't realised as she made her entrance daily when I went down to the coop to feed them, and I thought she had appeared from inside the coop and not from nearby).The eggs she was sitting on all looked like her own. She refused to set in a safe place and has since rejoined the flock. As the eggs showed embryos, I placed them in the incubator. 5 have hatched so far, the first two had fully feathered necks and looked Brahma-ish.

However, overnight 3 have hatched....and they must be progeny of Gordon. All these three are Naked Neck (doesn't show from this angle in the one on the right).

Oh man, I am getting excited. Mine went into lock down today! These are so cute!

Just curious like what????   I really dislike feathered feet personally.

I want to use this pullet to add fibromelanotic to my naked necks.She does have feather legs,how hard will that be to breed out?Want some opinions or suggestions.Thanks

I'm not crazy about feathered feet either. I have had 6 chicks hatch out from my feather footed hens (2 frizzle bantam NNs) and my bantam NN roo. Half were clean legged, half feather legged. I think that's pretty good, but I have heard that it's hard to breed out of them completely.

corry, naked neck bantam

her father ronzie

corry and her mother when she was a couple days old

Back
Top Bottom