Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Thanks,I had also heard that it was hard to breed out.

I cannot stand any feathers on legs & had to clean it out of a couple lines.. it IS hard to breed out completely, but is do-able.

reason is it's due to several different genes- most feather legged birds have *several* leg feathering genes instead of just one. so the problem really is trying to get several genes out, this always is harder than trying to get rid of just one.

the most common are three genes, 2 dominant and one recessive. silkies can have all three.. something like brahmas 2... add to this problem, they are highly variable in how they express- from lots feathers to few feathers- a bird can look clean legged but actually has the gene(s).

the trickiest one is the recessive gene- it causes little stubs on the legs. chicks can hatch out with clean legs only to show some at a year of age(or right after you've hatched rounds of chicks from their eggs...). the carriers for this will look clean legged but it's passing down the gene to the chicks sight unseen... so this one can persist for a couple generations.

I'm not crazy about feathered feet either. I have had 6 chicks hatch out from my feather footed hens (2 frizzle bantam NNs) and my bantam NN roo. Half were clean legged, half feather legged. I think that's pretty good, but I have heard that it's hard to breed out of them completely.

yes that's good. shows the feather legged parents probably aren't pure for the feather leg genes. try not to use any feather leg birds if you want to breed it out.. otherwise it definitely will persist. especially not two birds with any amount of leg feathers together- will get some 'pure' for some of the leg feather genes that way.

Just curious like what???? I really dislike feathered feet personally.
My Marans are feather footed and are used to make Olive EE. They are the only bird that I have that carry the very dark brown egg gene. My handsome blue silkie rooster should bring the dark skin gene economically. Buying chicks from Banjo would be the less economic way to do that. So although feathered feet and legs are not favored due to their collection of crud, I'll need to tolerate them.

I'm happy with feathered feet.

I'm wondering about the parentage of my last (unintended) hatch. I thought they would all be Brahma crosses as they were being incubated by a Brahma and all looked alike. But NO!. Of the 6 that hatched, 4 have naked necks. Two are little blondies with scanty leg feathers, but one has a black back and scanty leg feathers and the other looks like it will be 'blue' with black legs and no leg feathers. I think that others hens may have 'donated'.

Ronzie is absolutely fabulous. Can we have a picture of his face? I can't make him out.

Hope you guys are not getting tired of me posting so many pics.I am out of work this week(plant shut down for the week.)Everybody is at work or at school.So after everything that needs to be done has been done,I find something to do(take pictures of my chickens.) So here is an updated pic of naked neck X polish cross pullet.She is looking real good.

Lost "Big Mama Neck Neck"a week ago to stray dogs.I normally don't name chickens but she was the most gentle chicken that I have ever owned. I have a young roo from her.So maybe her gentle nature will be inherited.
Here is a pic of Big Mama Neck Neck's chick.The only one that I was able to hatch from her.Not real crazy about this little guy right now.But he could grow up to be a good looking bird.

Back
Top Bottom