Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute chicks.There is nothing like opening the incubator to see naked neck babies.Keep us updated with pics.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I haven't seen any studies on this, my guess is the skin on head is different or has something different from rest of the body. One strong case for it is a gene called 'gypsy face'- it makes the skin on the head dark while leaving the skin on rest of body normal- Sumatras are a breed known for this. It also seems to me, birds with the gypsy face gene if they have black feathers, the face will be dark.. but if they are brown/red/buff the face is not black but seems to be a different shade from the body skin. Some naked neck hens have a really red face but their necks are pink/flesh colored. It's normal....

to add to pgpoultry's answer- some believe the naked neck gene first showed up on chickens in Madagascar so the first NN chickens may have looked very similar to Ronzie's rooster just a couple posts above. The chickens were traded up through Asia to Europe where they may have been crossed with local breeds(and became more like regular looking chickens, body type wise) and became 'common' in Transylvania and seems to be the place where westerners 'discovered' naked necked chickens so that's why they're sometimes called Transylvanian Naked Neck. Also according to some things I read, Germans bred them into the 'modern western type' NN- heavy bodied chicken with single comb and yellow skin.

Turken is a slang name- a combination of turkey and chicken because they look that way to some people... sometimes they believe they're actually a hybrid mix of the two.. they are 100% chicken.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Ahh, Kev, a lot of good info. Yep, we've said, these look like a turkey/chicken. :) If the Germans had them, they must do well in the cold!
    Going to get some pictures of them all. Had 9 hatch out of the 10 that went into lock down. Started with 13. Had a great hatch on these, I have 8 more from a different breeder here in my own state. She's young, and is the one that told me that they are great city roosters, because they won't crow unless they hear it from another rooster. I was pretty much thinking, that would be nice, but I haven't come across a rooster that doesn't crow, yet. :)

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It's funny how there are breeds developed for long crowing(check out Kosova long crowers on youtube) or for strange crows(ayam ketawa also on youtube) yet none for being quiet.... There are some individuals trying to breed for non-crowing(or just quiet) lines but unless it becomes a major thing involving many breeders and thousands birds, can't see a quiet breed coming out anytime soon.

5. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Kev, think I will have to share a video with my young friend! :)

Photo shoot...of my baby Turkens/Naked Necks. Or should it be..Naked Necks/Turkens..yep, the latter.
    [​IMG]
    group shot..I think I'm seeing a lot of white, not quite the color
    for buff..I don't think..
    [​IMG]
    And, actually one of the yellow ones, has some black in the wings
    already, and on top of the head..white splash?
    [​IMG]
    My fav.. :))
    [​IMG]
    my fav again..
    [​IMG]
    this one has the least amount of feathering up the neck, and back
    of neck, except of course, the splash that has all of it's feathering,
    not a naked neck.
    [​IMG]
    That's pretty bare all right
    [​IMG]
    Almost twins.
    [​IMG]
    More feathering on this white
    [​IMG]
    Twins again.. :)
    [​IMG]
    The only one born with all the feathering..a splash. I was so
    hoping for a splash NN. Pretty baby though.
    So 9 babies out of 9 that went into lock down. Started with 13.
    Not too bad. More to come. :) Different breeder.
    [​IMG]
    Almost forgot my blue Naked Neck..I like this dark blue,
    going to be very pretty.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my naked neck hen. She doesn't have a name yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Now this bird has a sweet look to her..look at those sweet eyes. Some chickens just do. What a sweetheart. Needs a sweet name. Is she laying pretty good sized eggs?

8. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    So I would call her sugar since she does look sweet. My bantam red NN is a sweetie also. But her name is Rosie.

9. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

Cynthia12,
    I just got her a couple days ago and she is in with some other new hens so I'm not sure yet if she is laying.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks like she should be, or will be soon :) Beautiful girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by