Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Congrats and go for it!

If interested in my experience- yes can combine NN with tufts, not hard at all. The tufts hanged loose on my NN birds, like big heavy earrings that hang down and swing a lot? Purely my guess- the reduced feathering on the skin projections the tufts grow on causes them to lose some support and not really stick straight out of the sides of head. I do wonder if a bird with dense feathering on tufts may still stick out side ways despite being NN... your newest rooster seems like a very promising candidate for this? Anyways, it would be fascinating to see someone else do this and see how your birds turn out.

Cynthia, that's a pretty bird. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My 4 NNs are 21 weeks old now. Hoping eggs are soon :fl [​IMG] Spock this weekend. The other girls were hanging out elsewhere :p Brian is driving me crazy. This boy is VERY ambitious! Even with the ducks! :barnie [​IMG] Oh wait.. Here is Spock # 2. They are both Spock because we have far too many chickens to name each and every one individually. Plus it's just me that remembers the names anyway. We have 19 girls named Penny. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. JenW

JenW Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2012
    Deer Park, TX
    I just ordered my first batch of baby naked necks! They hatch on October 24th & should arrive the next day! I'm super excited! :D I ordered 10 pullets. They're really hard to find in Houston! I'll post some pics when they come in.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Someone had a question about the female NN's getting red I thought I'd share this pic of Reba from this morning, she is all girl and lays beautiful large eggs, but note how much red in her skin, it changes all the time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    How can a top knotted NN not just make you smile!

[​IMG]

5. aoxa

I like the last black hen the best. Prettiest one I've ever seen! Better watch her. I'm on my way to steal her from you ;)

6. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Her sister was even prettier, she was blue, but she died suddenly this week, I think probably an egg issue since she wasn't sick. I was really looking forward to hatching eggs from both the black girl (Jackie O ) and the blue one (Miss Priss)

7. aoxa

I'm sorry to hear that :(

:hugs

8. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California

9. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Seems someone said something unladylike in Her Presence...

Hoodas are neat. You going to try keeping the beard present in this line? I love the beards on yours. Someone needs to make a NN line with beards. There was that wonderful hen posted long time ago in this thread with a huge beard.

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Congrats! Be sure to post pictures! You'll have fun with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by