Naked Neck/Turken Thread

3 month old Nugget, boy or girl? I can't figure it out, Nugget acts like both, and to me looks like both lol
I am torn on this one, my gut says boy though. The saddle feathers start growing long before they become visible. Hold his and get "in his feather business" look closely at the new feathers coming in in the saddle area (base of tail on back) the short new ones are being covered by the existing ones, anyway you should be able to see the new ones are either pointy or round.

I tried to catch him, and he attacked me! Got 3 nice gouges in my arm :/ very aggressive to any chicken smaller than him too, which is a worry as I mostly have silkies and other bantams. I think nugget may have to go to a new home

Last edited:
I am torn on this one, my gut says boy though. The saddle feathers start growing long before they become visible. Hold his and get "in his feather business" look closely at the new feathers coming in in the saddle area (base of tail on back) the short new ones are being covered by the existing ones, anyway you should be able to see the new ones are either pointy or round.

Here is a photo of what Kassaundra is talking about. This roos new saddle feathers are iridescent and pointy.

yeah i definitely saw those, some were shiny green ones. such a pity :( but i couldn't possibly keep him once he gets to the 'randy rooster' stage, my poor bantam hens couldn't handle that

All black feathers on both male and female will be shiny irradescent but the long swoopy tails are boys.

All these are girls

they're so pretty, the second from the bottom is so shiny! i did notice that Nugget has a much longer tail than all of your girls, and his? legs look thicker, although that could just be the colour making them appear that way

Back
Top Bottom