Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Hellbender, your freaky-cat-bunny-from-hell scares me...... And I'm not easily scared. LOL!
hide.gif

Over the weekend I hatched out a dozen NN chicks. They are so cute that it is going to be really hard deciding which ones NOT to keep. LOL I picked out 4, but some could be cockerels so I suppose I should keep a few more just to ensure I get some hens.
wink.png

I must remember to take some pictures!

Over the weekend I hatched out a dozen NN chicks. They are so cute that it is going to be really hard deciding which ones NOT to keep. LOL I picked out 4, but some could be cockerels so I suppose I should keep a few more just to ensure I get some hens.
wink.png

I must remember to take some pictures!

There's no way I could pick out 'keepers' at such a tender age. For my poor abilities, I need to wait at least 'til POL and perhaps a month or 5 longer...
lau.gif

I read that NNs don't go broody as often as some other breeds. What's the opinion here? I really want to just let them do their thing and hope for chicks at some time.

Also, (first time chickens here) I'm getting our chicken house ready to bring home our 3 hens and roo this weekend and found out that they have preferred to sleep in a medium size dog igloo and sit on roosts during the day. I had purchased plastic buckets for nests. Suggestions on how I can make them feel more at home?

Congrats! You do know we all expect pictures here, right? As long as there is proper shelter and the set up is predator-proof, there's not really anything special. They will adapt to new home quickly. How long they adapt to new owner depends on the bird's personalities and how they were raised.

As for broodiness, it's variable with a caveat- a lot of backyard mixed breeds with naked necks are sold as 'the breed'. Mixes with cochins, silkies(pretty common) are very inclined towards broodiness... mixes with other breeds are less inclined to do so but still variable.

The hatchery stock is all over the place. Some either just don't or are slow to, some go broody easy and reliable to do so every year.. most are in somewhere in between, lay lots of eggs especially as long as eggs are collected before finally showing any inclination.

So far almost all prove to be excellent mothers.

True all chicks are adorable, but NN chicks are extra specially adorable
love.gif

I agree. I recently hatched some Bielefelders and while absolutely adorable, they almost seemed too fluffy compared to the NNs I'd hatched. Now I want to give all of my birds that NN, because the NN chicks always look to me like they've gotten dressed in their coats and hats and are ready to face the world.
big_smile.png

There's no way I could pick out 'keepers' at such a tender age. For my poor abilities, I need to wait at least 'til POL and perhaps a month or 5 longer...
lau.gif

See...I'm just the opposite. I have no problem selected ALL of them as keepers. It's the "weeding them out" part that challenges me. They're cuteness sucks me in completely.
roll.png

I have a half EE half turken what color egg do you think she will lay?

Could go either way.
I have 7 all hatched from green eggs. The dad was the NN so he came from a brown egg. The pullets have just started laying can't really tell for sure if all seven are laying or not but it looks like I have three laying green eggs and 4 laying brown eggs.

Check out my thread for these:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/72897/draye

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom