Naked Neck/Turken Thread

So we ended up with a decent hatch, all things considered! We got 8 Nn from our hatch of 58! I'm going to try to take some individual Naked Neck pictures tonight with the wife. I'm going to set another ~130 eggs this Saturday. A lot of tri-color and perhaps some all white ones! Super excited!

So we ended up with a decent hatch, all things considered! We got 8 Nn from our hatch of 58! I'm going to try to take some individual Naked Neck pictures tonight with the wife. I'm going to set another ~130 eggs this Saturday. A lot of tri-color and perhaps some all white ones! Super excited!
clap.gif

I came home to more pips and one fluffy baby - Nn and rose combed (Snape x Polly, my hatchery New Hampshire). Not a great photo, he's stuck in there until the others hatch...

- Ant Farm

Love the color of the top middle one!

My latest wee batch from the staggered hatch - one of Puppy's eggs didn't pip, but all the rest hatched yesterday (1) or overnight (4). It's day 21, so I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to pull the plug on the unpinned one.

Of Polly's eggs (hatchery new hampshire), I got 2 nn and 1 Nn rose comb. All had black spots on their head. Of interest, I think with the Tank x GNH cross, there were two with black spots on their heads - and I'm pretty sure both of those ended up as girls. (That third one I'm leaning toward late blooming cockerel again this AM). Of the three Puppy eggs to hatch overnight, they were all Nn and yellow downed - no black-downed ones this time. (edit to add: a few had rose combs, but I didn't take more than a brief look at them all, wanted to get them to the brooder)

Sorry for the blurry photo. They're all resting under the MHP, so I'll get more photos later.

The hatcher and incubator are getting put up for a while now. Got those S&G and Aloha NNs coming in February... So it'll be all about cleaning brooders and building more growout tractors now.
th.gif

@Kev , what is expected regarding inheritance of rose combs?

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
My latest wee batch from the staggered hatch - one of Puppy's eggs didn't pip, but all the rest hatched yesterday (1) or overnight (4). It's day 21, so I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to pull the plug on the unpinned one.

Of Polly's eggs (hatchery new hampshire), I got 2 nn and 1 Nn rose comb. All had black spots on their head. Of interest, I think with the Tank x GNH cross, there were two with black spots on their heads - and I'm pretty sure both of those ended up as girls. (That third one I'm leaning toward late blooming cockerel again this AM). Of the three Puppy eggs to hatch overnight, they were all Nn and yellow downed - no black-downed ones this time. (edit to add: a few had rose combs, but I didn't take more than a brief look at them all, wanted to get them to the brooder)

Sorry for the blurry photo. They're all resting under the MHP, so I'll get more photos later.

The hatcher and incubator are getting put up for a while now. Got those S&G and Aloha NNs coming in February... So it'll be all about cleaning brooders and building more growout tractors now.
th.gif

@Kev , what is expected regarding inheritance of rose combs?

- Ant Farm

Wow lots of babies happening in this thread.
clap.gif

Snape isn't pure for black as those chicks prove. Rose comb is a simple dominant. It's very malleable to various modifiers, spiky vs smooth, small vs large, follows the head contour vs not etc.

I finally have an official gender count from my last hatch. Out of 19 chicks total (two of which were hatched out by my Buff Silkie), I have ten cockerels and nine pullets. So I'm still tending towards more cockerels than pullets, but have improved my ratios considerably...not that I actually had anything to to with it.
wink.png
I have a total of three fully feathered birds, one of which was expected and the other two are...uh...bonuses.

Here are the NN cockerels, starting with my biggest boy, Tank, who weighed in at 2.2 lbs at 6 weeks, still the biggest bird I've bred:

Next is Sylvester, my black & white barred that's now showing red as well:

And now Frost, who has continued to make really impressive late weight gains after appearing to be the runt of the litter for the first two weeks after hatch:

Nugget (as is gold nugget and chicken nugget, LOL!). His legs have a bit more of a green tint than I would like, but I'm hoping his golden buff coloring remains fairly clean so I can possibly show him. He's a throw-back to his grandfather, but with a much better disposition, and he's the slowest one to feather out with a nicely dense, meaty body.

Bucky, who's surprisingly calm but probably a cull in the long run:

And now the rest who don't have names yet.

One of our (5/7) tri-color Nn.

Notice the symmetry! LOL!

Example of backs.

Excited to see what they become... can check profile pic for sires.
A couple of the yellow downed chicks in this recent hatch has that down pattern - well, not exactly like that, the black on the back is more like smudging. Can't wait to see how they feather out!

Quote: Yeah, I figured as much - no idea what Snape is made out of, which is the fun of it! I'm finding all three black chicks are all feathering out brownish- I think it's the same way Mystique feathered out. (@Kev - Partridge?) Here's a photo (they're 1 week today):

So by simple dominant, do you mean like the following (I don't know the right gene names):

ROSE/ROSE = rose comb
ROSE/wt = rose comb
wt/wt = no rose comb

That fits - I would expect Snape to only have one allele. And I'm getting closer to a 50% rose comb result from what I can tell (maybe a bit less).

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom