Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Excellent! Usually I don’t bring home sickly chicks but these are NN and if they don’t improve, I would be curious why.

My TSC had some of those new brooders overloaded with screaming white leghorns. I put my hand up and it seemed too cold. Walked out with only my feedView attachment 2555429
I agree. The chicks are huddled up in some of the brooders. It's ashame that they didn't think to make the plate adjust so it could be closer to the chicks.
I couldn't leave those little naked necks. Actually I did. I went to the grocery and kept thinking about them so I went back and bought them.
I had to hurry home and get a xl dog kennel ready because my 6 months old love their walkin brooder so much they won't leave. Lol.

Sad. I lost the naked neck in the first picture. It's pasty butt was the worst but I thought it was recovering. Yesterday it was eating and drinking but this morning it was lethargic. I gave it a little extra care but it didn't make it. Breaks my heart to lose a chick. The others all seem to be doing well.

Sorry that you lost that one, but it does happen. I have heard before that most of the TSC employees don't really know much about chicken's. They probably didn't even read the instruction's about the correct temp to have them at, let alone to be bothered with having to wipe a chick's butt!

Sorry that you lost that one, but it does happen. I have heard before that most of the TSC employees don't really know much about chicken's. They probably didn't even read the instruction's about the correct temp to have them at, let alone to be bothered with having to wipe a chick's butt!
Not just a rant, probably reality. :hit

However, we are going to fix all that, aren’t we? By telling everyone we meet about backyardchickens.com :wee

My NN's have really picked up in laying. I can't believe that I already have over 8 dozen of their egg's in my fridge, and I just sold 4 dozen just a few week's ago. :eek: That's not including the smaller pullet egg's, neither.
Yes indeed! Aren’t NNs awesome? I sent 4 dozen pullet eggs to my neighbors who say the little eggs fit best in jars to make pickled eggs. And 2 dozen large eggs to both of my next door neighbors. Got to keep them happy 😎

I guess “cat whiskers” are how you know that a Naked Neck x Easter Egger chick inherited the gene for muffs and beard. I guess the NN gene cannot cancel out all the muff. That’s because I’ve got a similar hen shown below as the yellow chick under her mother:
View attachment 2554801
Below is the yellow chick all grown up, note the whiskers. She inherited the muffs and beard from her father who is an EE x Australorp that looks like a black Ameracauna. The yellow chick her mother’s NN gene restricts the muffs and beard from being fully expressed. She also inherited one copy of the pea comb from her father because she doesn’t have her mother’s straight comb. And one copy of the blue egg gene from her father. She lays green eggs and her mother lays brown eggs.
View attachment 2554809View attachment 2554811
So cute!
We did decide to keep three.
This one, because I’m 100% convinced it’s a male. He is a naked neck, but I’m sure will have a “bib” since he has so much fluff on his neck. Right around 2 1/2weeks old right now.
F7505467-2BDC-4620-9097-90D9720DDDE9.png

And I suspect both these two are EE/NN
56323A0F-F8CA-4652-80A2-A109E18E1933.png
CE4F1E5B-1168-41E7-9608-D42AD5757087.png

Picture of the trio
892FE82B-2A0A-4E77-97D3-5A99878227C1.jpeg

Don’t sell them til you pick out the ones you want to keep. The gene that controls blue shell versus white shell is dominant for blue. So eggs will be blue with one or two copies. To get white shells you have to get rid of the blue gene and the brown genes 😄
OO=one copy from dad and one copy from mom=blue shell to all offspring.
Oo=one copy from one parent, no copy from the other parent=blue shell. 50% offspring receive blue shell and 50% offspring receive white shell.
oo=no copies from either parent=white shell.
Why don’t all chickens have the blue egg gene? I have no idea 😄

Write the parents on the eggshell when it’s laid. Take a photo of the eggs before you set them and as each chick hatches. That way you can refer back and *be certain the NN rooster you want to keep did in fact hatch from a blue or green egg * 🥰
Sad thing is most went and hatched overnight! My plan was to get pictures as they hatched so I knew who came from what shell. But it didn’t go as planned 🤦‍♀️

So cute!
We did decide to keep three.
This one, because I’m 100% convinced it’s a male. He is a naked neck, but I’m sure will have a “bib” since he has so much fluff on his neck. Right around 2 1/2weeks old right now.
View attachment 2560826
And I suspect both these two are EE/NN View attachment 2560825View attachment 2560823
Picture of the trioView attachment 2560827

Sad thing is most went and hatched overnight! My plan was to get pictures as they hatched so I knew who came from what shell. But it didn’t go as planned 🤦‍♀️

That's about how it goes on the hatching. They always seem to decide to hatch when you are sleeping. Sometimes though, you can catch a couple of them during the hatch and that's usually right before you go to bed, but then they are wet and still have to dry out over night.

Back
Top Bottom