Naked Neck/Turken Thread

Quote:
Yes, you should be applying moisturizer to their necks! Preferably Aveeno anti-aging cream. I know that this product is expensive, but we want to do the
best for our birds. Right?

Just kidding! They are fine. I live in South Texas. 90 degree day temp for 2 weeks and humidity is about 30%.
Mine look the same. If there is a problem tell them to text you.

Jelly

Quote:
Yes, you should be applying moisturizer to their necks! Preferably Aveeno anti-aging cream. I know that this product is expensive, but we want to do the
best for our birds. Right?

Just kidding! They are fine. I live in South Texas. 90 degree day temp for 2 weeks and humidity is about 30%.
Mine look the same. If there is a problem tell them to text you.

Jelly

yuckyuck.gif

Hi everyone. I just received a bunch of chicks in the mail and included was a little NN! Does she need any special care in cold weather? I know the weather is getting a bit warmer ( I'm in MA ) but I feel like I should knit this sweet little girl a scarf.
smile.png

Hi all,

I'm keen to try and get a few Nacked Necks in a while to go with my four other chickens. Only problem im in Australia i will have to have a look around and see if there is any breeders around my area.

I reckon there the coolest lookin chickens and i hear there good layers.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I love my NN's!
love.gif
They have great personalities and are very hardy. I am sure that you can find them in Australia, hopefully close to where you live. They will definitely become your favorites!

Ok Short intruduction. I'm Swedish an have had NN for many years, both bantams and regular. Last year I got hatchingeggs from Hungarian NN. I have a friend from Hungary living in Sweden and he imported the parentstock. In Hungary these breed is considered as an old heritage breed and is preserved in a program by one of the large agriculture schools.

I hatched 25 chickens last year sold some when they were about 5 weeks and kept 2 roosters and 5 hens for breeding. One of the roosters died this winter so I only have one rooster in the breedingpen. Here is a pic of my birds

nakenhals-400-266.jpg

I hatched some eggs in february to check fertility an hatchability and sold the chickens. Then I started to sell hatching eggs. 2 weeks ago one of my bayers contacted me and said the wings on the chickens looked strange. It was as they couldn't stretch the last joint... She asked if this was normal for NN.

I replyed to her that I had never seen this, but on the other hand I hadn't checked the wings on the chickens I hatched in February. The breedingbirds have totally normal wings and so has the other NN breeds. (I have bantam and a French NN too). I have not heard from any other bayer and therefore we thought this was a result of the post handling of the hatchingeggs.

Three days ago I hatched hungarian NN again. All of them has deformed wings
sad.png
Does anybody have a clue what this could bee??
Her is first a picture of a normal wing from an other breed
_MG_2937.jpg

And then a picture of the NN with deformed wings
_MG_2938.jpg

Besides the wings the chickens are totally normal. They eat and drink, move and act just like chickens do. My own chickens are only 3 days old but the chickens hatched from eggs I sold are 3 weeks and also developing totally normal besides the wing defect. As the chickens seems totally well beside the wings I will keep them and see how they develop. As they don't seem to be in any pain they are not more handicapped than any other bird that can't fly.

Some more facts:

-I have 18 different breeds. No other breed have had this deformation of their wings.
- All breeds have the same food. High quality food for laying hens. This is a well known brand with good reputation in Sweden.
- The parents to my breeding group has normal wings (and so has my breedingbirds).
- My friend who gave me the hatching eggs last year have never seen the defect on his chickens. Not last year and not this year.
- I hatched 6 other breeds at the same time. All normal. Totally normal hatch results too.
-I have a very good incubator (BrinseaOvaEasy 380) and it has a alarm function telling you if there is anything wrong during incubation. No alarm was set of while these eggs were in the incubator.

I'm a quite experienced breeder with good knowledge of chicken genetics. But I don't knew of any genetics giving this defect?!? I have never seen it before and I have been breeding chickens for 15 years... I feel a little lost and don't really knew how to handle this. Naturally I will not sell any more hatching eggs of this birds until I have a clue what is going on. So pleas if you have any valuable input let me knew.

Quote:
She and/or he will be absolutely fine. Mine are very hardy and don't seem to notice the cold weather any more than the other girls. They can almost retract their neck and cover most of the exposed skin up.

Well, thank god for that. I can't knit. lol

Quote:
She and/or he will be absolutely fine. Mine are very hardy and don't seem to notice the cold weather any more than the other girls. They can almost retract their neck and cover most of the exposed skin up.

Well, thank god for that. I can't knit. lol

Me neither. I fail as a woman, I can't even sew a button on. Good thing I can muck a chicken coop though!

Honestly... they'll be fine. I even had some NNs hatch in the unheated (oh the horror!) coop under a broody momma in the beginning of January. If you guessed it was below zero, you would be right! Everyone survived and Momma abandoned them and went back to the adults on the roost when they were about 5 weeks old. They didn't want to have any of that but did fine:

46869_175297_155743651146871_100001337108712_292945_2527220_o.jpg

Small Red This is just an uneducated guess, but the problem sounds like it was caused by a toxin. If this defect only appears in the eggs recently imported from Hungry, I would guess a tetragenic toxin from enviromental chemicals contaminating some part of the chickens enviroment such as food. Might sound far fetched but until some one has a better idea that is my guess.

Back
Top Bottom