NAKED NECKS ; Breed, or variety?

If the difference is size is too great, maybe not. But I would say probably so. My chickens do if allowed free range. Let us know how it turns out.

Just as there exists a gene that codes for a rosecomb and there is a breed called Rosecombs, there is a naked neck gene and a Naked Neck breed. Although most breed names seem to have a geographical origin, if that isn’t applicable (such as when there are collaborators developing a breed in multiple locations) then a dominant characteristic of the breed isn’t a bad way to name the breed, although you can see where it can lead to some confusion.

I am not sure why the major breed organizations decided to treat the frizzle (or beards and muff or crests or tassels, etc.) one way naked necks another. It is probably because some group got together to create the Turken/Naked Neck breed. I’m not sure what the history is, although I am sure it's an intersting read.

As for eggs size, that is completely determined by the hen. It matters not whether it was fertilized by a Jersey Giant or a Serama. Now, as someone who has bred large fowl (LF) Barnevelders to bantam Barnevelders and LF American Games to American Game Bantams, I do believe that the size of the egg will help determine the size of the adult bird you get; however, this is the result of "nurture" not "nature". So, a bird bred from a LF over a bantam hen will grow to be a slightly smaller than a bird bred from a bantam over a LF hen, but this has little effect on the F2 generation because it is not changing the genes, just the size of the hatched chick. It isn’t hard to imagine that a chick that starts out larger has a better chance of reaching the size potential of its genetics than one that starts its life out at half that size.

Yes, if you breed LF to bantam, there is a higher risk of injury than bantam to bantam or LF to LF. If there is a big difference, then only leave them penned together for as long as needed to get your breeding done, and then separate them. I have bred both LF over bantam and bantam over LF. You might wonder how the later pull it off, but where there is a will, there's a way; and there’s always a will.

Last edited:
Poultriary - Got IT Thanks, that I can understand.
ya.gif

now to find me an : Bantam Cochin NN Roo OR Maybe just a Buff Bantam NN Roo ,

hummmmm now see what I've done. LoL

Back
Top Bottom