Nankin Discussion Thread

Pics
I'm posting some photos of my daughter's nankins, hoping for some feedback. She has 4 cocks/cockerels and 4 pullets/hens right now, plus about 14 chicks. For ease of reference, from top to bottom we can call them hen 1, 2, 3, and 4, and cock 1, 2, 3, and 4. Some are cocks and cockerels, some are pullets and some are hens. Thanks!

I'm posting some photos of my daughter's nankins, hoping for some feedback. She has 4 cocks/cockerels and 4 pullets/hens right now, plus about 14 chicks. For ease of reference, from top to bottom we can call them hen 1, 2, 3, and 4, and cock 1, 2, 3, and 4. Some are cocks and cockerels, some are pullets and some are hens. Thanks!

Yay! Hopefully Walt will be by with a pro opinion. Good to see some Nankins. You can also try the Heritage Bantam thread...

OK, here is my next attempt at some profile pics. Unfortunately, I'm not good at getting them to fan their tails while I take a picture. And they're still running around on me. I'm afraid I'm just not as talented at getting these birds to pose for photos as franciscreek is. What's the secret there? Is fanning their tail a genetic thing or a training thing or a timing thing? Anyway, for better or for worse, here they are again... : ) So we have (from top to bottom) Henry (~1.5 years), then James (~1.5 years), Rocket (about 7 months) and Jimber (about 6 months.) For the ladies, we have Daffodil (young hen with small spot on tail), Pansy (young hen) with stripe on her tail), Penny (~2 year old hen with molting splotchy tail) and Buttercup (pullet with larger spot on her tail.)

No, we had a racoon attack about 9 months ago that wiped out a good number of our birds.... Most of our hatch from last year. They were out in a cage that the coons were able to reach through the holes one night, and the coons took advantage of it.

Now they're in a fortified cage that we've had for years that the coons have never gotten into....but the young birds are somewhat new acquisitions...two cockerels and one pullet. We had 3 birds survive the coon attack... One original bird (the oldest hen with the splotchy tail) and Henry and James, the 1.5 year old cocks that we hatched from the original birds that were killed. We then got 2 pullets RIGHT before the attack that were in quarantine, and were thus spared from the coons... And then the three that we just got recently (2 cockerels and a pullet, all about 5-6 months old.)

The babies we have are out of the youngest cockerel and the (approximately) 1 year old female birds we got the same week as the coon attack.

Back
Top Bottom