Nankin Discussion Thread

Pics
Thanks for the comments on our stock...we sell breeding pairs all over the country for a reasonable rate but the shipping is always the high part...i do sell eggs for $20 for about 12 eggs that includes the shipping unless it goes up as is predicted....i havent tried chicks yet I guess i could if i had an advance order and i could collect eggs and hatch them out.....Our stock is from 3 different areas...the original line was from a box of chicks at a swap meet and so we call that the Iowa box line....The champ roo is from that breeding.....i have a trio from Mary Ann Harley and then another pair from a fellow out in Washington..that roo is somewhat darker than the others and so far the hen has not faded out so I am thinking we need to breed her to get some more pullets...all our others have faded and we had one pretty dark pullet who faded after her molt but did produce another like herself who went BB at another show this year...has anyone found that single comb roos who grow during the heat of the summer have much larger combs than fall hatched roos?????

Fransiscreek, I now get what you were saying. I honestly didnt know breeders were that picky.
Anyways, none of my Hen' tails have fanned out yet. They all resemble #129 on your website. They will eventually fan out, right?
Also, about the leg color, are slate legs recessive, or it just a dilute thing? I'm kinda maybe sorta considering bringing in some serama blood just to experiment. I think I need more of that body type in my flock. (I know it won't help the squirrel tails) Speaking of squirrel tails, (i'm not sure if I've asked before) what type of gene are they exactly? e.i. dominant, recessive, etc..

Chikincrazee, Do you have any nice RC cockerals available? I'd be very interested.
smile.png

About the combs, mine were hatched in winter and all my SC nankins have very small combs, if that helps.
I think you should post more pics. Very interested to check out your flock and the different lines.

we are getting our annual week of frost a little early. we have had five or six days of frost. the birds are doing well, I had a hen hatch out 8 chicks yesterday. four more to go.

I wouldn't add serama, I would look for a nankin that has the type you are looking for and use it. there are a few different types out there.

Quote:
It means that the tail sickle feathers are at or above 90 degrees. Nankins should have a 50 degree tail, which is high, but not nearly as high as 90 degree's.

Walt

Quote:
It means that the tail sickle feathers are at or above 90 degrees. Nankins should have a 50 degree tail, which is high, but not nearly as high as 90 degree's.

Walt

O...oooooK I think I get it. Thank you very much

Hi its cold here in IL but the nankins are all safe in there pens inside the heated horse barn...i keep it at about 45-50 so i can keep the automatic waterers going for horses and poultry. I dont have any RC boys only SC but Lund Poultry has some lovely RC roosters as thiers was RB in the Jr Show of the Nankin Nationals at Crossroads and he was stunning...they have a website and are very nice people to deal with.

I'm glad everyone's holding up well.

prairiehen74369, squirrel tail is when the tail feathers are at 90* or higher from their back.

chikincrazee, thank you for the tip. They were the first ones I turned to when I first started looking for Nankins. I was going to order eggs from them but made a last minute decision not to. I'll check back into them soon.

I havent had too much problem with squirrel tail YET...thats the operative word in breeding..lol...we arent going to hatch till spring and then i think we will let the girls sit on their own eggs as they seem to enjoy raising their families.....also seem to get a better ratio of girls and boys.

Back
Top Bottom