Naraganset trio - sexing

GoneHomeGrown

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I think the 2 older birds are female and the younger is a tom. Not quite sure though and would love opinions
The older are about 4 months old and the younger closer to 3 months.

the older

P10101662.jpg

P10101632.jpg

P1010149-1.jpg

the younger

P10101622.jpg

P10101652.jpg

Nice birds!
At this age, approach the pen and make a gobbling call. Any males will immediately respond and you'll get your answer! Only males gobble.
But looking at the photos, I say one of the older "may be a male". The younger is a male.

Of the older birds, the one in the back in the first pic (is it the same as the third pic down?) looks to me like it may be a male, and the younger one looks male...

I agree with Frosty, one older bird looks like a hen, and the younger looks like a tom. The gobble trick does not always work, I have a hen that struts and gobbles (sounds funny). I know she is a hen because she has hatched three sets of eggs.

Quote:
When I mean gobble, I mean Gobble! Not sounds funny, just like, or almost. I all the years I've had turkeys (and I've had hundreds ) I never had ahen gobble like a male. Strut yes, that can be very common for a hen to do. DO the gobble..
Let us know when you find out for sure!

When I mean gobble, I mean Gobble! Not sounds funny, just like, or almost. I all the years I've had turkeys (and I've had hundreds ) I never had ahen gobble like a male. Strut yes, that can be very common for a hen to do. DO the gobble..
Let us know when you find out for sure!

Sorry you took what I said wrong. When my hen gobbles it sounds just like a young tom gobble. I'm not going to argue with you.
hu.gif
idunno.gif

To the OP it looks like two toms and a hen to me.
frow.gif

Quote:
I didn't take it wrong geepy, just clarifiying my definition of a gobble from a "half" gobble thats all. No argument from me here! I should have used some of these
smile.png
wink.png
Apologies!

You are all right. Neither of the older birds would do any kind of serious displaying and both would occasionaly puff up, but for just a second. Well the younger decided this mornning to let it be known to all that he was trully the man. Very nice strutting and displaying. The older that you all pointed out responded in full form and they both danced around for a while,so the older is just a slower developer I guess. Looks like I do have a bird for Thanksgiving this year and half as many eggs next year. Unfortunatley I did not have the camera with me, but I am sure they will give me plenty of photo ops now.
Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom