narcoleptic chicken - is it a problem?

YearningForGoats

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
SF Bay Area
One of our 5 chickens has recently taken to falling asleep standing up in the run. It seems to be happening quite often and is a new phenomenon for her. Sometimes she's up on one leg like a flamingo. None of the other chickens sleep standing up. I'm a little worried about her, but maybe it isn't anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know what to tell you, but it might be good to know how old the chicken is, if she is still eating, drinking, pooping and laying etc.

Last edited:
Yes, we need a little more information.

It might be that she's feeling badly. Is she eating, drinking, playing, pooping? Is she old enough to lay?

Please tell us about your girl.
smile.png

She a cuckoo marans and is a little over a year old, was laying regularly, then went broody for the second time this summer. We had her in a separate cage until she snapped out of it, and quit hanging out in the laying box. I can't tell if she has started laying again yet. I haven't been around enough to see if she has been in the box ... and if she IS laying, her eggs are so lightened up that I am mistaking them for our wyandotte's. They did lighten up last time she was broody, though. She seems to be eating, drinking, and pooping fine. Maybe I'm just a worrier, but none of the other girls sleep outside standing up in the run. They have about a 40' x 15' run that they are out in everyday.

Oh, I'm also a little extra worried because our next coor neighbor's chickens have mites, so I put DE all in the run inside the coop, on the roosting bars and in the nesting boxes. I haven't had a chance to inspect our chickens yet.

Back
Top Bottom