Nasty before laying??

derby

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Boonsboro, MD
My red sex link, who has always been docile, has gotten very nasty to her coop-mates. Even when free in the yard, she has "attacked" the other hens, usually going for the neck. I would almost think she was behaving like a rooster except she sure looks like a hen. She will be 6 months old in about a week and is not laying yet. Could she be getting nasty because she is about to start laying?

Derby

geckomama

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
NE Oklahoma
Someone with experience will answer......

BUT I have to admit the first thing to come to mind was chook PMS
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Do you have a rooster? If not, a dominate pullet/hen can imitate the rooster. I have brown and black sex links and they started laying at 15 weeks. From what I have heard/read sex links tend to lay earlier than a lot of breeds so I'm wondering if she isn't acting roo like due to the lack of a roo?

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
Quote:
Lol I was thinking the same thing. My Buff Orp Lottie is a real nasty thing before she lays, even to me! She has never come after me before, but since she started laying, the minute I walk in the run she's at my feet pecking and biting. By the evening, she's all fine and lovey.
roll.png

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
Congrats on the egg, at least you received a gift for your troubles. Mine started laying at 16 weeks 3 days- 17 weeks, and were loud but not nasty. VERY loud. Maybe the lack of a breed mate left her confused- my girls had others starting the same phases together, it was a cackle and a hoot to watch them!

Top Bottom