Nasty before laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by derby, Sep 17, 2008.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    My red sex link, who has always been docile, has gotten very nasty to her coop-mates. Even when free in the yard, she has "attacked" the other hens, usually going for the neck. I would almost think she was behaving like a rooster except she sure looks like a hen. She will be 6 months old in about a week and is not laying yet. Could she be getting nasty because she is about to start laying?

2. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Someone with experience will answer......

BUT I have to admit the first thing to come to mind was chook PMS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Do you have a rooster? If not, a dominate pullet/hen can imitate the rooster. I have brown and black sex links and they started laying at 15 weeks. From what I have heard/read sex links tend to lay earlier than a lot of breeds so I'm wondering if she isn't acting roo like due to the lack of a roo?
  4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Quote:Lol I was thinking the same thing. My Buff Orp Lottie is a real nasty thing before she lays, even to me! She has never come after me before, but since she started laying, the minute I walk in the run she's at my feet pecking and biting. By the evening, she's all fine and lovey. [​IMG]
  5. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I think I will confrim the chicken PMS. She laid her first egg today!
  6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the egg, at least you received a gift for your troubles. Mine started laying at 16 weeks 3 days- 17 weeks, and were loud but not nasty. VERY loud. Maybe the lack of a breed mate left her confused- my girls had others starting the same phases together, it was a cackle and a hoot to watch them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by