Nasty eye infection (pics)

Quote:
We did a LOT of eye cleaning, but no cutting. We used Q-Tips wetted with saline solution to dampen the eye so it would open. Pressed the pus out through the eye as seen in the earlier video, washed the eye out with Verticyn Eye Wash, and then applied Erythromycin Ophthalmic ointment to the eye. The Erythromycin ointment is a prescription drug as is the Zactran. The Zactran is given once and is good for five days, in some cases it will need to be given a second time, but usually one injection is enough.

You are welcome. You will need a ski mask and a gun to get the eye ointment, it's $25 for a 3 gm tube... My vet would give me preloaded syringes of the Zactran so I would not have to buy a bottle. I don't know how much it was but she said it was more than Baytril and that is over a dollar per ml. You only need a very small amount anyway. Good luck with the bird.

KsKingBee, I think your report said that Amikacin would have worked, and that might be less expensive, but it needs to be given daily.

-Kathy

KsKingBee, I think your report said that Amikacin would have worked, and that might be less expensive, but it needs to be given daily.

-Kathy

Yes, there were three listed, one that did not work as well as the other two, Amikacin that would have to be given everyday for a week or the Zactran that only needed to be given once. I had ablut 75 birds in that pen, most of them coming down with the Pseudomonas that I could not catch and inject everyday, so I opted for the Zactran. For the amount of drug the OP needs, the packaging will probably be the most expensive part of the script. I am thinking, without looking, that a four pound bird was given 0.6 ml.

I just finished. I think I got it all without surgery. I'll upload pics in a minute. This is what came out:

I feel like I need to burn my clothes.

I'm going to be honest: I didn't call any vets today. She's not a $25 hen, so I either need to treat with what I have or something that's super cheap/OTC. I flushed with saline before and after. Should I start the oral tylan and hope for the best? Just dab it with the trip-antibacterial ointment I have?

Back
Top Bottom