Nasty eye infection (pics)

Kikisgirls sent me a link to this post; I had a similar surgery I posted and I had believed the infection to be coryza (not all the birds developed massive pus tumors, but several had infections in their eyes that they healed from before it got to that point.. for whole story see https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/surviving-infectious-coryza.1187396/page-2#post-19121987

How is your flock doing now after time has passed? Are your hens laying? Did they ever have a nasal discharge that smelled like roadkill? Are any still sick? I will scour your other posts to see..

Kikisgirls sent me a link to this post; I had a similar surgery I posted and I had believed the infection to be coryza (not all the birds developed massive pus tumors, but several had infections in their eyes that they healed from before it got to that point.. for whole story see https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/surviving-infectious-coryza.1187396/page-2#post-19121987

How is your flock doing now after time has passed? Are your hens laying? Did they ever have a nasal discharge that smelled like roadkill? Are any still sick? I will scour your other posts to see..

Hi! They're all fine now. Soot went to a new home this past spring but she fully recovered. As far as I can tell it was an isolated incident. I have not had another case since this one. The only stink they've had was wet pox, and that's such an indescribable aroma. Like a maple candle in a moldy basement, and snot.

That's good to know. The dead animal smelling nasal discharge I've been dealing with is almost gone from my flock (or may be completely, haven't smelled it on any birds in a week or 3) but the original bird that came in with it that infected my flock now has those warty lesions on his comb and face; I just noticed it today. The mosquitoes have been biblical this year and it's just now cooling off enough to slow them down. He's such a sweet bird, but I'm tempted to off him; I've already got 4 separate groups now, and I don't have time to quarantine yet another. I wonder if the eye infection can be caused by multiple pathogens and still present the same way. Grats on the successful operation.

I have a thread on fowl pox also. A few of my young cochins have a mild case right now. Offing him won't really help anything at this point. From what I remember the fowl pox can suppress the immune system, that's where the secondary infections creep in. You can leave him in his place and clean waterers every day, or just put him in a dog crate for a couple weeks. It's probable that the other birds will also develop pox. So they had wet pox first? Or the coryza?

That's good to know. The dead animal smelling nasal discharge I've been dealing with is almost gone from my flock (or may be completely, haven't smelled it on any birds in a week or 3) but the original bird that came in with it that infected my flock now has those warty lesions on his comb and face; I just noticed it today. The mosquitoes have been biblical this year and it's just now cooling off enough to slow them down. He's such a sweet bird, but I'm tempted to off him; I've already got 4 separate groups now, and I don't have time to quarantine yet another. I wonder if the eye infection can be caused by multiple pathogens and still present the same way. Grats on the successful operation.

I'm not sure. I got the 6 birds (at least one carrying that had a clear, foul, nasal discharge that never developed any other symptoms) in June. Murphy, the original sick bird, who was sold to me as a hen and turned out to be a roo, just in the past week developed the warty looking knots on his face and comb. Then another roo in his flock has some I noticed today, even though I removed Murphy last week. If the pox has that awful smell accompanying it, it may be coryza wasn't the culprit, but I had several birds just stop eating and die with upper respiratory infections, which seems to indicate coryza more than pox. I'm guessing Murph was carrying both and some of the others may have too. He was so sweet and still is, but I may never trust a strange, friendly chicken again.

I've got three birds who have had that same discharge for months now and it never goes away. I've got several who developed symptoms and seem to be perfectly healthy now but aren't laying. Several died, especially the little ones. One of the 6 was the first to go.

Yes, seems like you have multiple issues going on. Pox typically resolves itself within a few weeks. It might be worth your while to send the next deceased for necropsy, or sacrifice one you don't care about as much.

I quarantine for 30 days at least 30 yards from my current flock regardless of the source, and always recommend folks do the same with my birds.

Back
Top Bottom